Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fix the 12 bolts? or buy 1 tons?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, May 3, 2003.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

gotta problem and need someone's wisdom and opinion... New years I blew up my ring and pinion gears(stripped the teeth). I've got about a grand in the front and rear axle. rear axle has 4.56 and Detroit Lockers. to fix it I need new ring and pinion. Problem is, I don't know how to put that stuff in and the guy that was going to do it for me is dead(suicide cuz his wife left him /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) So, is it better and/or cheaper to just buy new gears and pay the 4X4 shop here, they will charge an arm and a leg, to fix it, or go ahead and upgrade to a 1 ton rear, and have the adventure of finding 4.56 and all the other crap i will need to do the conversion? I will keep my dana 44 front cuz i really don't do any serious wheeling. I was just being stupid when I broke it. BTW, I am in Iraq right now and can't fix the stuff now, I just need to provide the wife with the list of things I will be needing. Thanks alot guys. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u ever plan on running bigger tires than 36s... Id go 1-ton. If the lockers and other parts are ok in ur axles, you oughta be able to sell parts seperately and get some $ for the 1-ton stuff...

j

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Your wife would go to a junkyard, round up the right 14 bolt with correct gears and everything else and have it waiting for you when you get home?

Does she have a sister???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

It depends on if you want to buy new rims and 8 lug outers for the front. And if you will ever see anything over a 35 in tire or have broken this before and how much there going to get ya to fix it. If you want to go 14 bolt, Find one out of a military truck (M1008) they already have 4.56 gears and a detroit locker in them. I've seen them sell for 300.00 to about 500.00 give or take depending on where you live. then you'll need some 8 lug outers for your front. You can get most of that stuff from a donor truck for around 150.00 to 250.00 depending on the condition of parts. Then of course new 8 lug rims. At least maybe I gave you an idea on how much the conversion will cost so you can see if its worth it to you or to get what ya got fixed. If ya don't wheel often or hard and are not going to go over 35's I'd say stick with what ya got. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Troopie's Tonka

about the junk yard thing, hell know, she wouldn't know where to start. i'd probably end up with a ford 9" or something, but her brothers could help her out...
    about the sister, yup, has one, but she's married to a perfectly good redneck already, sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. Troopie's Tonka

Ok, I didn't know that the military trucks already have 4.56 and lockers. Now I think I have made up my mind. But I'm not going to put the money in getting 1 ton front axle, and I really don't want to put money into new wheels, I already have alcoa's. Someone told me that I could get spacer/adapters to go from 6 lug to 8 luck for about 150. I have 36" swampers, so yes, the smart thing to do is go ahead and get 1 tons while i got the chance, and before I break [censored] again. So about 3 or 400 for rear axle and 150 or so for spacer/adapters...then what, just a different ujoint for the driveshaft right? thanks a lot. oh yeah, by the way, if you know anyone in or around GA with those axles handy, let me know /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

As far as the driveshaft, you might have to shorten it with the extra length of the 14 bolt snout. Probably depends on the truck. You might want to go to the junkyard and get a driveshft from a 3/4 ton truck and have it shortened, then you will also have the stregth of the bigger driveshaft and the 1350 u-joint !

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the driveshaft, you might have to shorten it with the extra length of the 14 bolt snout. Probably depends on the truck. You might want to go to the junkyard and get a driveshft from a 3/4 ton truck and have it shortened, then you will also have the stregth of the bigger driveshaft and the 1350 u-joint !

[/ QUOTE ]

False. The 10, 12 and 14 bolts pinion yokes sit the same distance from the center line of the axle. Meaning you WILL NOT have to shorten a shaft to fit a 14FF. Just have to get the hybrid u-joint, thats all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks K30guy I wasn't sure, I had to for my dana 70 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Troopie's Tonka

Thanks to all you guys that responded. You really helped me make up my mind to get the 1 ton. Now for the tricky part, finding the assend of an old army truck. (M1008, right?) I really don't have the best internet connection way over here in hell(iraq) so i can't surf the for sell stuff very much. my buddy(rebelK5frk) has his eyes and ears on in case someone has one to get rid of. If anyone is in or around GA let me know(samuel.freeland@us.army.mil) and I'll arrange for someone to get the axle off of you. Or, if you know someone, let rebelk5frk(kmefford@softhome.net) know. I promised him a finders fee. he'd appreciate any leads. Thanks again and wheel on!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

1 last thing. there is no law saying you absolutly needing front eight lug. save your money run a 6 front and 8 rear. 300 bucks for a detroit and 100 for the axle. do it man its what all the cool people are doing (hehe). or semi floater 14 bolt has 6 lugs. unless you wheel the snot out of your rig you wont break a 1 ton axle. just think of this how often do you see replacment shafts for a 14 bolt?