Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fix to slip yoke on two piece drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chebywanna, Sep 2, 2003.

1. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

sooooo is that going to be fine?
    i pulled out a case that had a fixed yoke on it and put in one that was slip, and want to keep the slip since its easyer. now the first half of the shaft is going to be connected to the t case via slip youke.
    i asked this before but got no answer. even if you don't know just bs me that its going to be fine.

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I know a slip yoke makes it much easier to take the shaft out, but how often do you have to do that? Fixed yoke is the way to go. If you have a rear driveline failure you can always remove the D/S, and not spill any fluid!

3. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

the thing is i would have to tear into both of the cases to make the current one a fixed one, and im quite sure that they have different spline counts so it would most likely not work. the way im planing on having it set up is going slip yoke from t case to the first part of the drive shaft and then the second drive shaft on another slip yoke to the axle. now if i have a failure anywhere past the first drive shaft i can always pull the second one out and still have the first one plugging the t case. so if its gona be mechanically fine i would just opt to leave it this way.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The first half of your drive shaft is tucked up out of harms way and would more than likely be fine to run a slip yoke there. You can always pull the rear half if you have a problem with it.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i was thinking for a simple slip yoke eliminator- get a slipe yoke, and tap a hole into the end of the tailshaft and bolt on the slip yoke, then get a telescoping driveshaft and viola! would that work?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're not going to tap any hole in an output shaft. It's hardened...much harder than any tap and die set you've ever used.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

not necessarily true. but fine, weld in a threaded insert or just a crossshaft locking the yoke in place.