Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixed 2-24-04 !!!!! ** Who Runs a CV Shaft **

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pauly383, Feb 17, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cv issues are gone... Thanks to all/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

original post:
    I just installed a CV shaft on my 83 and have a couple questions: 1. Do they make any noise on initial takeoff? 2. You are supposed to make it point towards case right ? 3. Does shackle flip make a difference ? I may have spring wrap even with 305 and highway gears. Any help appreciated. Search doesn't seem to narrow it down for me . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I guess what I am getting at is should I shim it down a bit to allow it to run straight under power?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: ** Who Runs a CV Shaft **

I have CV shaft, and not one problem. I still have my pinion angle within 2* of each other.
    Bill

3. pauly383

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I have one from High Angle. No problems at all. I did order a degreed offset shim from AZ-Kickn' to correct the pinion angle. I'm running the ORD 4inch shackle flip with the axle moved back 1.5inches.

Mike

5. pauly383

Thanks Mike. So where does your pinion sit now. Did you point it at transfercase, or a little down so it comes up with torque?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have any pics of your rig that would show the rear tire location in the wheel wells since you moved the axle back 1 1/2"

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I have a High angle CV shaft and my pinion is 2* down from facing straight at the t-case. This is what Jesse told me to do. I just cut off my old perches and welded in new ones with the extra inch of hieght already in it. I also moved my axle back 1" and I have the 4" shackle flip with stock springs. Here is how my axle sits in the well with it flexed.
    [​IMG]

8. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Hey Paul truck looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like others have said having the pinion down a couple of degrees allows for driver and/or passenger weight. If pointed straight at it will point the pinion above the tcase when there is a load on the suspension like people, camping gear. Shim it down a little and should be ok. Also where did you get a cv slip shaft localy?

9. pauly383

I got it at the place some guys hate and some guys love, 2417 w. lincoln 602-253-8006 arizona drivelines & axles . 295.00 plus tax . I picked up some shims tonight for 11.99 , I went 4* since my rear is pretty soft now and its real straight. . I don't have a big enough jack here yet so I am stuck tonight. You want to help? Oh and how long are Sub e-brake cables? Was thinking different model may be longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh and how long are Sub e-brake cables? Was thinking different model may be longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a problem with my driver side e-brake cable on my K10 being a little to short. Is that the same problem your having? I haven't found a solution to it yet, would like to get it hooked back up, so let me know what you find out.

11. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

My e-brake run down driver side and then spliting to the two rear wheels and looked to be much longer than your cables are. I think that you could modify yours to use the suburban e-brake cables. Have not had a problem yet with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Time to buy a high lift,/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif cause can't get the rear off the ground with out it good excuse to tell the wife /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Sorry I would like to help but don't have any time for a week or more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    good excuse to tell the wife

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I needed one a half hour ago when she cornered me and found out about the CV-shaft. She's cool though as long as I put it back. I think she is already getting me a high lift for my birthday (3-2). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry it took so long for the pic but here it is. Rear axlw moved back 1.5 inches.

[​IMG]

Looks like it's where it's supposed to be.

Mike