Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***FIXED***Collapsed Lifters???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Oct 28, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay alot of you saw my 'no spark' post with this 454 into the 1987 Suburban. Well what the problem there was the fact that one of the pins in the plug to the iginition module was pulled out and not making contact. Replaced the module and still no spark, thats when I noticed the pin in the plug was all fawked up. Repaired it and fired right up/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NOW. It has good oil pressure, also did the drill on the distributor to make sure oil got where it needs to before start up. Guage says oil pressure is good.

BUT, it makes a horrible 'clacking' noise, not a knock. Its coming from under the valve covers. Upon further inspection, there is VERY little oil up on the rockers, etc. It sounds like the rockers are all loose as can be and are just clacking around.
    I was talking to a mechanic buddy and he says it sounds like the lifters have collapsed. He asked if the engine has been sitting for long...I said yeah..probably a couple years or more. He said that is probably the problem.

Does this sound like a possibility? Can I just replace the lifters...or do other components have to be replaced at the same time too?

Any other ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

<font color="blue"> ***UPDATE 11/7/03 FIXED*** </font>

Okay well after talking with several people....as was assumed the lifters appeared to have collapsed after the engine was sitting for a couple years. I guess that is why when you take a motor apart, if you are gonna reuse the lifters, you should leave them in a bucket of oil.
    I checked for oil pressure at the front of the block with a mechanical oil pressure guage...pressure was fine at 40psi. Adjusting the rockers was mentioned, but they are fixed, non adjustable. SO no adjustment could be made. Next I drained the oil which was 20w50 and put in Mobil 1 0w30 as was recommended on another site. The thinner oil might help them pump up. Well after several cycles of running the engine at 1500rpm for 20 minutes and then letting it cool down for an hour or two and then another running for 20 minutes...there was little improvement, still tickin' like a mo'fo.
    Next I checked all of the pushrods for slack/spinning and 4 out of 8 on the passenger side were loose and 6 out of 8 on the drivers side were loose with the valves closed. I was about to give up, when it was suggested to go to the GM dealer and get a bottle of E.O.S. (engine oil suppliment). Its generally used as prelube, but has worked wonders on older engines and freeing up lifters. I was skeptical, afterall it seemed like they should have at least pumped up a little buy now. As a last ditch effort, I picked a bottle up. After two cycles, I noticed oil pumping up to the rockers and everything getting a little quiter. Went through 4 more cycles and oil is pumping out on the wheel wells and the engine is quiet as can be!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So something that ACTUALLY works....GM E.O.S Only $6 for the bottle too!!

Just thought I'd let you all know in case you run into this problem. Several have said to add a bottle upon start up of a motor for the first time after its been sitting for a long time. Worked for me/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Collapsed Lifters???

It is hard to believe that all 16 liftrs collasped. I guess anything is possable. Take them out and soak them in solvent. could be all gummed up

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

To tell you the truth, it doesnt sound like ALL of them....mostly on the drivers side, but a little noise on the pass. side.

Collapsed lifters would keep oil from getting up top though correct?

Just looking for other ideas on what it might be.
    Thanks.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pull the valve covers and see how many pushrods are real loose,Dis-able the distributer Take coil wire off.Have someone turn over motor and watch to make sure lifter is on the low point of the cam and see how loose it is.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Some BBCs have cam oiling problems and can eat cams.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ALL BBCs have cam oiling problems and can eat cams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like you got a flat cam.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Add a quart of good A.T.F. or Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase, and let it run for while, they might pump up.

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

have you tryed adjusting the lifters.if they are loose it will make a clacking noise and almost no oil will get to the top of the pushrods.hence your no oil up top situation.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, clacking noise, they ARE loose, BUT they arent adjustable. See update at top/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

glad everything worked out.at least you didnt have to pull the engine apart to find the dead lifters or worse a flat cam. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif