Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***Fixed*** I need some help with my Dell Inspiron 8600

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Craig Artzner, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey guys....

I have an annoying problem as of late. I have reinstalled windows in my Dell laptop and it seems to work fine except that I can't connect to my wireless internet anymore and my monitor resolution is somewhat blurry (not as good as it was).

I called my ISP who directed me to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager where we noticed that all of the hardware listed under "Other devices" has a yellow questions mark and exclamation point. These other devices include:

Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Network Controller
    PCI Modem
    Video Controller (VGA compatible)

The tech rep told me that I need the reinstall the drivers for these items in order to get me computer up and running again. He said I should have a CD for them (which I can't find). He then said to go to Dell's website and download the drivers for your system.

SoI went to Dell's website on my other computer upstairs (a Dell Desktop) and pulled up Dell's website. Finding the drivers was easy, all I did was plug in my "service tag" and the drivers came right up. Only problem is, every time I would try to download a driver, the screen would blink and then my computer would restart, and as a result I could not download the driver :mad: (?).

Is Dell's website automatically restarting my computer because it knows it is not the computer that actually needs the drivers?

Any advice would be much appreciated. My girlfriend is in college and needs this computer for schoolwork. I called Dell for help and they told me it's outside of warranty and I would have to pay $130 for a one-time tech fix. No thanks.

If someone can download the drivers for me and email them to me or burn them onto a CD I would be grateful. Uness someone else knows an easier fix for this. My service tag number is 39J9F61.

Thank you for looking...:bow:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

There's something wrong with your other computer, dell's site isn't restarting it. Something must get invoked when you hit a certain point that your computer doesn't like, and it crashes/reboots. You can probably find out what it is by going to the event log (if it's not win 9x/ME), but that's probably not terribly important right now.

I just looked under your service tag, and there are lots of ethernet drivers. Somehow you have to figure out which one you have.

When you get to the point where you want to download the files, try FTP download instead of the "Download Now" link, maybe that will help.
    The most important one to get right now is the nic driver, once you get thtat installed, you can put the other computer on the network and go to dell's site with it, then use the "Identify my computer" link to find the right drivers.

I'd love to help, but there's no way I'll get that much time today... Sorry...

3. Craig Artzner

Thanks for the reply Ratch... Which one is the "nic" driver? I know some stuff but I'm not familiar with which one that is...

I tried the FTP download last night too but got the same result, my computer just decides to restart in the middle of the download. I'm going to try a system restore on my desktop tonight and retry those downloads.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No prob. The nic is the network or ethernet driver; Network Iinterface Card.
    Once you get that, you can get net connectivity back on the laptop, and I think scan your machine via dell's support site. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if it depends on all the drivers being installed already, but I'd doubt it.

Check your hard drive space on your system drive on the other computer. Maybe it's teetering on the edge and the download keeps pushing it over. That shouldn't happen unless you have a funky memory set up, but ya never know.

5. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

If you still can't get the drivers down I can download them to my website and you can get them from there. That would rule out Dell's website being the problem. However, I agree with NewYorkin in that if you have a full drive on your download computer you might be crashing your computer by doing the download.

6. Craig Artzner

Thanks guys, I'll try some stuff when I get home tonight. If none of that stuff works I'll repost on here.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have seen quite a few propriatary(sp) drivers have issue on laptops. The recovery cd that comes with them has the drivers you need, but if you did a new install with a regular OS cd, the cab files are different.

8. Craig Artzner

Good news...I'm now hooked up to the web on the laptop but only if the ethernet cable is plugged in. I did a system restore on my desktop back to February 16th and was able to download the ethernet driver and successfully install it.

I am now using the laptop to try and get the rest of the needed drivers to get me back up and running...stay tuned :D

9. Craig Artzner

Ok I am 100% back up and running with all the right drivers! :D Thanks to everyone who posted to help me out...