Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixed itHELP!!! IT JUST DIED, NO JUICE INSIDE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Mar 21, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

edit
    i finally got this thing fixed, and i am now convinced that i really must be an automotive wizzard(lets set aside the fact that it required a week to fix). i listened to everybody's ideas, and just kept coming up short(i found the solution, by accidentally leaving the ignition key on, while i messed with the wires at the starter, and the elec fuel pump started pumping, so i knew i had juice). i had voltage everywhere i was supose to, but the thing would not run. the wire to the starter, and the wire that jumps juice to the junction block on the firewall were corroded, and would let voltage through, but not enough amperage to make anything work. i decided to remove the wires from the starter, and clean the connectors, and the solenoid fell apart in my hand when i put a wrench on it to loosen the nut. so i did have to replace the starter, thankfully a rebuilt was only about $40. i replaced the battery cable to the starter, and i also ran a new wire straight from the battery to the junction block, instead of jumping from the starter. also the starter works much better when you hook the ignition wire to the proper terminal on the solenoid.

I WAS MOVING MY TRUCK IN THE WAREHOUSE, AND THE THING JUST SHUTOFF LIKE SOMEONE TURNED THE KEY OFF. 89 SILVERADO 350 TBI 700 R4. THE POWER WINDOWS, AND LOCKS DO NOT WORK, NONE OF THE DASH LIGHTS COME ON, BUT THE HEAD LIGHTS, HORN, AND INTERIOR LIGHTS WORK. I CHECKED THE 2 FUSES FOR ECM, BUT THEY ARE GOOD. ARE THERE SOME RELAYS THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT I CAN CHECK? AS FAR AS I KNOW ALL THE ELECTRICAL AND ENGINE ARE ORIGINAL. KIND OF STRANGE, I HAVE THE LITTLE LIGHT ON A RETRACTABLE WIRE UNDER THE HOOD, AND THE BUZZER STILL CHIMES WHEN YOU LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION, BUT WHEN I TRY TO TURN ON THE LIGHT, IT DOES NOT COME ON, BUT THE BUZZER STOPS??????????????? THIS IS STRANGE, AND VERY ANNOYING. PLEASE ADVISE ON POSSIBLE REMEDY
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    CHRIS
    edit
    just read a response to an earlier post, and was informed it was considered rude to type in all caps, was unaware of such eticate rules for asking or answering question. But if this is the norm, i do not want to be rude, or inconsiderate, and apologize for the transgression. i promise not to "yell" anymore. This site is relatively new to me, and sofar has been a valuable source of info.
    thanks
    chris

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RESTORE89 on 03/26/01 06:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re: HELP!!! IT JUST DIED, NO JUICE INSIDE

There is a relay on the fire wall on the driver's side near the master cylinder right under the hood you might check.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

can you be a little more specific about the relay, i just looked, and can not find a relay there. just the wiper motor.
    thanks

4. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to me in my75 jimmy it turned out to be the fuseable link so what i did to get home was get a fuseable link at autozone and some wire go from the +pos on your bat. to the little screw on your alternator that has wires hooked up to it cuz you only have two hook ups one is a harness and the other goes to your screw and tightens with a nut any way do that and try to start it hope i helped

5. muddin4fun

Well, it's a fuseable link. It's got two posts on it. There's at least two wires running to it, one from the distributer and one going to your fusebox. Let me see if I can get a pic....

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

6. muddin4fun

Well, I tried to save a pic and it wouldn't do it. Do you have a Haynes manual er something? It's on the firewall...in the engine compartment. prolly about a 1x2" little rectangle with two posts coming out. I don't know how else to describe it.

[​IMG]

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

owning a blazer can be painful. i was using my digital volt ohm meter to check some of the inline fuseable links attached to the link you are talking about, and stabbed the probe into my finger, causung blood to come from my finger and doubt to fill my head( why do i keep this stupid truck, when i own a 1999 f-350), under warranty still. i always wondered what the purpose of that "fusible link" was. the wires coming from the left side all seem to go to the A/C, and the right side appear to come from the fuse box. i do not have any voltage at the link ignition on .35 volts, ignition off .00 where does this link get power from?
    thanks,
    chris
    it is hard to type quickly with blood dripping from your middle finger onto the keyboard.

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

if it was the link that was bad, could i not just eliminate the link by crossing the terminals.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, you can jump the link to test it but make sure the jumper is heavy enough (same diameter) and don't leave it that way (after all, it is a fuse). You should also be very, very careful because, if it is a hard short that blew the fusible link, it could heat up really fast and start a fire or damage something. I would recommend using the test light, volt meter, ohm meter, etc. depending on your approach. The test light is by far the easiest to use.

Also, there may be more than one fusible link of different styles. Other than that I can't really help much. Electrical stuff is not something I'm an expert on. I can generally work it out (particularly with a schematic which would help you too) but it is generally something that I have to tackle and work out each time. BTW, you can get the schematics at the library and make copies. I’ve been looking for an online source but with no luck yet…

Good luck

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well you could put a penny in a fuse box if you keep blowing out fuses (talking old stlye screw in fuse box for homes, started tons of house fires) but I think you better get a new one. Its cake to install. I would get a new one rather than bridge your old one because something had to wrong for it to trip.

[​IMG]

11. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I had an 88 Silerado P/U that one day did the same, up and died with no warning. Anyhow, I believe that it had something to do with a fuseable link on a wire that ran to the starter. I wish I could be more specific, but I fixed this problem over 2 years ago...

At least you could check for proper voltages at the starter wires... it took me two weeks of digging through schematics after work to find that damn thing. FYI - I seem to remeber it being a fairly heavy gauge wire.

12. muddin4fun

You can test it with a screw driver. Don't eliminate the link altogether though. If you get a short er something, you will have a big fire and no more blazer for you!

[​IMG]

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have come to the conclusion it is not the "thing" on the fire wall. according to the haynes manual wiring diagram that thing withthe 2 studs sticking out is a junction block, and i have no power there either. and i was not planning on leaving the thing jumped, i just wanted to see if that was the problem, and unfortunately, it was not. i have voltage at the batt, and at the back of the alt, and some juice at the fuse box, when i push the power lock button, i hear a clicking sound under the dash. i hope this does not take 2 weeks to find, i may get frustrated, and take advantage of my full coverage insurance, after all i do have an electrical short somewhere. just kidding, when it runs it really runs, and is way to much fun. it is starting to remind me of an old corvette i once had, that for every hour driving time, it took 2 hours of repair work.
    thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, i am trying them all
    chris

14. BadDog

Hehe, just hang in there. Yes, there is a little junction box on the fire wall and, seems like maybe the fusible link goes to it from under the vacuum booster. Not sure though.

Bad Dog

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check the battery voltage since you got a meter. Should be 12.6 volts. Check it again with the headlights on. Also has the motor been out? There is a gound strap on the back of the passenger side head to the fire wall. It is often not reconnected when engines are put back in. If it were disconnected or loose it would mean poor ground to the cab (and the ECU behind the glove box) and power windows and other stuff would not work. Dome lights may pull enough ground backwards through the system. The head lights would be pulling ground through the pig tail on the battery gound to the core suport so they would still work but the tail lights might not.
    Now I have not really messed with a truck as new as yours but all the previous trucks had all electrical connections for positve run from the starter. Has the starter been out or replaced? might have a loose connection down there also. There are 2 connections. The big one will be frome the battery and it will have the pig tail for the fuse box on the same terminal. The other connect (Pink as I recall) is the starter trigger wire. There have also been issues where the wires short out in that area due to misrouting when engine is worked on.
    Thank you for taking the caps off. In the cyber world that's known as shouting/ screaming. When used for a few word you can give a visual injection like your PISSED! When you type in all caps it is difficult to read.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

16. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Have you cleaned the connections to your battery? Corrosion on these could cause the problem.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

17. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

update
    let the truck sit overnight, and when i put the key in the ignition, and turn it on, the dash lights came on, until i tried to start the truck, then everything just went dead again. it is sort of like if it sits a while then it builds up some juice somewhere, but not enough to start, and when you try to load up the electrical, it just shuts down completely. I have not had a chance to try grim reapers advice yet. HAVING A JOB REALLY GETS I THE WAY OF WORKING (on my truck), and my finger is still sore. teach me not to shove pointed objects into my flesh. i really thought i would have learned that already.
    still struggling, but will try again this afternoon
    thanks
    chris

18. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

still fighting this thing, and it is winning. i checked the voltage at the batt 12.6 lights on 12.4. tail lights work, horn works, strap to head and firewall in place. large wire to starter has 12.6 volts, and ground wire from starter is grounded. there is a fusible link in the wire from the starter, and voltage on both sides. the large wire from the starter starts as a pink wire, and then goes through a link, and comes out red on the other side, and as best as i can tell, it goes through a metal tube between the exhaust manifold, and the block, and goes up to the junction block on the firewall. the junction block has 12.6 volts at it also. as far as the starter being out, i had the tranny rebult a few months back, and i guess they had it out then, but do not know. it is like only part of the fuse block is getting juice. are there more than one power sources to the fuse block
    thanks chris

19. BadDog

I think the part of the block gets power from the switch depending on setting: Start/Run/Acc. Seriously, I would go down to the local library and spend about $1 and an hour to get the schematics. Just get the right ones based on your options. With those you can probably work this out in an hour or two. I'm no electrical expert and I don't know of any on here. We're all just guessing and trying to remember what we have run across. Schematics are the way to go...

Bad Dog