Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'fixed' my battery draining problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 18, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

\'fixed\' my battery draining problem

I had posted before about my high battery draw with all accessories off, iginiton off, etc. I had about 340ma draw all the time so of course my battery would be dead in the mornings.

I had been tracking that draw down and finally found it. You know the 18 wire plug that goes into the back of the instrument cluster? Well, #5 (they are numbered on the plug itself) is a 12V ingition hot lead. This wire, when disconnected, removed that 340ma draw.
    I'm not sure why it was shorting. The printed circuit looked OK, nothing obvious.
    So now, I can leave my battery connected and just walk up and start it whenever I need to instead of hooking and unhooking the battery everytime.

A quick note: Not all my gauges work, and I'm certain (by following my printed circuit) that if my gas and temp gauges worked in the first place they would no longer. No big deal for me right now.
    Just thought I'd let you all know where my drain was in case you are tracking down your own gremlins.
    -- Mike

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: \'fixed\' my battery draining problem

Electrical problems always suck but I'm glad you found the problem.... well at least where the problem is coming from.

Way to go.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: \'fixed\' my battery draining problem

I had a similar problem for a month, and I killed an optima battery before I found that the wires for my rear electric window (on the tail gate) were pinched and shaffed, so my bettery would last a day or 2.
    Now I fixed it but lost an optima.
    Also I lost the reciept so I can't get a replacement.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif