Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixed my cruise control !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tori89k5, Dec 29, 2001.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Im so stoked I just have to tell everyone !!! Since there has been much discussion on getting cruise control to work on some of our rigs i thought id share my luck. My cruise wouldnt "set" (nothing would happen when button was pushed) I learned that 90% of the time it is the multifunction switch (turn signal lever) So i went out and bought one. You can get one from NAPA. Before i went thru the trouble of replacing it, I found where the old one plugs in under the dash, unplugged it, then plugged the new on in. With it just hanging out from under the dash i went on a little test drive up the street and gave it a go.... turned it on, and pushed the set button... WAA-LAA !
    it worked !!! So i came home and put the new one in. Took all of about 30 mins total. Its not hard to do.... and i can give you all some tips on replacing the lever if needed.
    KEEP ON CRUISIN'

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

2. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I need to do the same thing on my 87 Blazer and my 88 Surburban. Are you talking about the turnsignal lever that the cruise is mounted on? Do you have to take the wheel off?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the turn signal lever just snaps into the turn signal switch, just pull straight out and it will pop free, the worse part is fishing the new wire down through the steering column. this may help
    1. find the connector under the dash at the base of the steering column and unplug it
    2. tie a piece of string onto it and pull the old wire out of the column
    3. use the string to pull the new wire back down through the column

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yes,...... the "turn signal lever" nope... you dont have to take the steering wheel off. only the two dash pieces right under the column.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Does yours have int. wipers? What is the part # that you got and how much it ran?

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yes... i do have intermittent wipers..... but either way, it doesnt change anything. Dont have a part #, mine was a gift from my brother that used to work for GM. I think the ones from NAPA are only about $40

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well I will be buying one of those soon if it's only $40... mine died a ways back and I'd like to have it back on those long drives...... thanks for the info!

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

8. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thanks guys.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton