Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixed my hub problem for $8.60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Walked into 4 Wheel Parts with two busted 35 spline crappy hubs and exchanged them for drive flanges, the upgrade only cost $8.60, at least Warn had a lifetime warrenty on them, wasn't a long life however. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[​IMG]

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

including tax? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. CK5

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I love mine.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

SWEET....soooo...anybody care to explain to me the difference? Are these basically full-time hubs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Man, do I sound like a newbie /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

running the slugs like he is is like welding your spider gears there's no unlocking it..

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    running the slugs like he is is like welding your spider gears there's no unlocking it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite

Basically alwasy engaged soild hubs

9. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

those look sweet. so how would those act on the street with a detroit locker? I was thinking about going with slugs but I still drive mine on the street

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how do they do with the front locked? i have drive flanges in mine and want to put a locker in the front but haven't because i didn't have the money to buy the locker and the $200 for the warn hubs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. BadDog

Doesn't matter with the front locked on the street. Lockers disengage when there is no input torque so turning is unaffected with the front drive disconnected at the tcase. But if you put it in 4WD on the street, you will KNOW it. No different than the same with the hubs locked. The only down side is that the front axle is always turning. Adds to wear and reduces gas mileage by a small amount, just like a full time 4WD with a “part time” kit but without the factory slugs swapped for lock outs.

12. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

That did not take you very long /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I still don't understand how slugs could cost more than a set of hubs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They should have given you money back /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably because more people buy hubs than flanges... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how do they do with the front locked? i have drive flanges in mine and want to put a locker in the front but haven't because i didn't have the money to buy the locker and the $200 for the warn hubs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When Scottie (RIP) finished my front Detroit install, he told me to run it with hubs locked in for break-in a bit.......it DID feel goofy having the hubs locked and the Detroit in, even with the transfer case in 2WD.

Just my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. CK5

I run an ARB in the front, which is a selectable locker, plus it is mostly a trail only rig now.

17. BadDog

Hmmm, I wonder if that was because of the "break in" (though that's the first time I've heard of that). I know I often drive mine in 2WD since the hubs went on, and I pretty much never unlocked the hubs when I had them, and I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. In the past I've also driven other trucks on the street with front lockers and hubs locked in 2WD (from trail to trail genearlly) and never noticed anything significant.

But to be fair, I've never driven a daily driver with front locker and slugs so maybe there are issues at speed or some specific scenarios... Just currious, what felt "goofy"? Wandering, bucking, ... ?

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I'll lock my hubs in next week for a test, and supposed break in, on my lockrite.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, I wonder if that was because of the "break in" (though that's the first time I've heard of that). I know I often drive mine in 2WD since the hubs went on, and I pretty much never unlocked the hubs when I had them, and I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. In the past I've also driven other trucks on the street with front lockers and hubs locked in 2WD (from trail to trail genearlly) and never noticed anything significant.

But to be fair, I've never driven a daily driver with front locker and slugs so maybe there are issues at speed or some specific scenarios... Just currious, what felt "goofy"? Wandering, bucking, ... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing direct hubs locked to hubs unlocked, cornering had way more 'feel', plus sweeping turns felt as tho the locking/unlocking was happening (which it probably was).