Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixed my leaking header gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've been having problems getting my headers sealed onto the heads. after getting several different opinions from here, i was going to get a set of stock manifold gaskets. while i was at a local speed shop for another project i told the guy about my header problem.

he suggested i use their thick paper gaskets. told me to dunk them in a bucket of water for 15 min. stick em in, torque em down, and they will seal up fine. went home and did just as he said, and sure enough, sealed right up.
    anyone ever hear of this method. i was a little leery but it worked great.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wet paper dries brittle :dunno:

I actually removed my rtv today and installed some manifold gaskets. Working so far. The RTV worked great but when I went wheeling and hit my exhaust they blew out.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

these are some type of composite, not just paper. and i think that the heating them up when i start the truck changes things too. we'll see how long they last. this info was from an old hotrodder thats been doing this for 40+yrs

4. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i used the header gaskets that came with my hooker headers i bought a while back. The Mr gasket gaskets work good too. or you could drop $40 for a beautiful set of copper gaskets. :thumb: :saweet:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah the RTV worked great till I started really beating on my headers(shaking around on the trail and hitting them once or twice).

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes I've heard of the water method before, from a guy that built (builds) race engines and is an engineer with Boeing, if you needed any credentials.

I actually have been having success with the stock manifold gaskets on my headers, so unless these stop working, I'll never have to try the water trick.