Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixed my tilt column....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jul 26, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Now my ignition won't work, I have ACC. and ON but no START... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifAny ideas on this clusterfawk before I tear into it again???? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

does the key tumble turn or even try to turn or does it just stay at "on"??

is the ingintion switch adjusted properly (the one on the base of the column.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

mine needs to b done really badly...cuz when i turn in a certain direction, it will kil my engine....and its loose as heck. so since im so lazy, im just gonna go buy a new tilt colum

NITRO

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Okay 'fumes, you have committed a sin against the "code."

But I'm here to help ya out. The tech sessions are up high on the main index page. Please do not soil the mantra of Non4x4 with any technical issues again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

easy to do, i just ot in my tilting column yesterday, is about the third time ive been inside just this column alone,

most of the 80s columns and some of the later 70s just use a simple lock screw for the ignition switch retain-ment, same type of screw as for pinion shaft in an axle, looks almost identical, but most are tox bit instead.
    take wheel off, need two 5/16"x16 bolts around 2.5 or 3" long, and the center shaft style balancer puller in which are cheap at local parts store, auto zone etc.
    use grade 8 bolts from napa though. dont use the bolts with the puller, they are crap!

when wheel is off you will see round black column locking plate, you have to compress it down towards dash to get the wire spring clip off from around the steering shaf,t theres an inexpensive comperssing tool for this that threads onto the threads that the steering wheel nut threads into, and then theres a nut on the shaft of the tool that you tighten down after that to compress the locking plate downwards, then pick out and slide the wire clip ring up and out of the groove in the steering column shaft and up onto the sleeve of the compressor tool, and leave it there, unscrew the tool and off the shaft of the column,

pull plate off the shaft and then youll see the turn signal assembly, take the three mounting screws out after removing hazard button and turn signal stalk, nudge thwe wiring harness around to get the turn signal switch assembly up and out of the way to get to the lockscrew for the ignition switch, some are clipped in and some are screwed in, most are the screw type.

straightforawrd and easier than it sounds here, 5 minutes to get to it and 5 minutes ot put it all back together if you've done this before ever, once you have a coupel times it will be second nature
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    most of the trucks i come across including my current dauily driver the 81 c-10 have gnition switch worn out so much that you dont need key until you lock the steering back, then you need key o unlock it and thne you can pull key out easily and dont need it, i never lock my column, unless im gonna be away for a day or two or longe,r helps me because i always forget my keys anyways, i could have easily swapped switch out with another one of several i have around ive saved over the years, but imi not going to, i like it how it is /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

my headlights on the truck are another story, sometimes they blink out, losing a connection somewhere i have no idea where yet, hmm..

any ideas anyone ?
    sound familiar ?
    thanks