Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixed my truck, but its now driving me insane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

well, I got the injector pump on my suburban replaced, and got it running after sitting for about six months, and it runs great, fires right up and has more power then ever, but after driving it the truck soon reminded me of something, theres been a rattling noise coming from underneath the truck, I've searched EVERYTHING over and over to try and eliminate the noise, its so loud people can here it when I'm driving by, over the rumble of my 6.2 with dual flowmasters, its definatly not in the engine, it sounds like having a toolbox full of wrenches and digging thru it, except ALOT louder, I can put the truck in nuetral and shut the motor off while the truck is rolling and it still makes the noise, I've tried putting it in 4WD, no diffrence, even tok the worn out hubs out (one was broken anyway), no diffrence at all, but I do remember that after I went thrue alot of mud it stopped for a while. I was even thinking maybe I got a rock stuck in the rotor dust covers, but its been going on for so long that a rock would have busted bye now, it would have to be a nut or something like that, the noise keeps getting worse, it use to stop when I got to about 45 MPH, but now it makes the noise all the way to 60.

sorry for the long post, any input from you all would be greatly appreciated, even if you jsut tell me I'm crazy and its all in my head:doah:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

might help if you stated what kind of tranny/tcase/axles and maybe wheel and tire combo. lift, and any other work done to it.

3. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Maybe a loose flywheel/flexplate bolt? A loose exhaust hanger?

4. 1-bad-burb

4l60(or 80)e, NP208, 10bolt front, 14boltSF rear, 35" wrangler MT's, 15" black steelies (had to grind the calipers a bit, but the was looooong before this noise came about) I dont think it could be the flywheel, because I can put it in nuetral with the engine off and it still makes the noise, and it doesnt make the noise below maybe 8 MPH

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id guess something to do with the axles/driveshafts/tcase.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

What about a loose chain or bad bearing in the T-case? I had a '93 Dakota that made a rattling sound all the time like that and found out my chain was stretched out in my t-case.

Rick

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 77 makes the same noise. The first time I heard it I thought that it was my engine knocking!

I still haven't pinpointed the problem, but I'm thinking it might be a wheel bearing issue, as when I turn left it goes away until I straighten the wheels out.

8. 1-bad-burb

I realy doubt its in the x-fer case, I felt the chain thrue the inspection hole and it felt pretty tight (hardly any slack) and it never slipp when the truck was in 4WD before I took the hubs out, is it possible for a loose nut/bolt to get in between the rotor and the dust cover? I put new balljoints in the truck awhile back and the wheelbearings looked almost brand new.

9. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Just a thought but my front axle shafts make a rattling tool box kinda sound when the u joints go out on them. Check your front ujoints and that bearing on the backside of the hub where the shaft goes through.

10. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i had that noise and now i am replacing my tranny. all the tranny bolts started to come loose:mad:

just get under there and check all the bolts for the tranny and supports. you never know

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I found my problem tonight. Bad u-joint between the front and rear half of the driveshaft :)

Maybe check your front driveshaft / axleshaft u-joints!

12. 1-bad-burb

bewtween the front and rear half of the driveshaft? could you be a little more specific, my lack of sleep is interupting my thinking abilities, LOL

13. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

My truck makes that noise too and I've been wondering what it was. Once in a while I'll get a loud pop when I'm driving under 30mph. I'll get to checking my u joints. Thanks for the heads up.

14. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I remeber mine doing that, check the bolt that attaches the dip stick to the exhaust manifold, if there is pitting on the frame it means your motor mounts are shot and the engines moving enough for the bolt to hit the frame..

15. 1-bad-burb

just got under the truck, my shocks are all shot, and I found hte tranny cooler lines were loose and rubbing the oil pan. also I found that the front u-joint on the driveshaft was completely fudged, but I dont have any hubs, so that shaft shouldnt even be turning right?