Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FIXED NOT THAT EXPENSIVE** SECOND LIFT ISSUE **

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Feb 15, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Getting CV shaft thanks for replies

OK Heres the angle of my pinion after my shackle flip (echobit). Looks perfect if I had a CV shaft. Any ideas how much shim I may need . Or does any local members (AZ) have a used CV shaft or knows what shop I may use to install one on my shaft for little cash? I am vibrating from low speeds on up with it KINDA getting better at higher roadspeeds. I don't wanna chuck a joint ( P.I.T.A, though I carry spare joints ).
    [​IMG]

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Re: ** SECOND LIFT ISSUE **

not to hi jack but Im about to install mine to and did you run into any problems and did it move your axle forward any

3. pauly383

I don't think it moved forward much more , the distance between axle pad and front spring eye mount ( fixed distance ) didn't change. It really just moved the pinion up. I could comprehend it moving forward just a tad as the spring lowers in the rear it hinged forward , but not more than 1/2 inch for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have been running mine like that for two years without issues.

5. pauly383

You are lucky then. I cant take my whole dash rattlin' because of vibration. I need it to drive somewhat normal so I can relax and have less thing to worry about from a 20 year old truck. I could take a vibe at 70 mph ( was like that before ) but not a 10-45 mph /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It doesn't have to be a "guess".....just borrow an anglefinder and take a measurement of the upper joint and compare it to the lower one. (Subtract the big number from the little number, and that will tell you what size shim you need! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) IIRC, if you can get them within 1 - 2 degrees of each other, that's generally enough to cure the vibes.....

7. pauly383

Great , thanks for the tip........HMMM I wonder who in town has an anglefinder they want to bring by my work tommorrow in AZ. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Paul, I have the same issue with my joint angle. I just let it vibe and replace the t-case joint every other oil change. It is a pain so I would reccomend shimming it slightly also. Or give HAD a call and get a cv shaft sent out.

9. pauly383

So much commotion from it on way to work, decided to buy a CV shaft. Thank god I got my credit clean. Just bought a CV shaft local should have it before dayend. I can and have done joints, but its like pulling teeth, you need to do it but don't want to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

He couldn't wait for me to head over there today and shim it for him for free, he likes spending money,,, /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. pauly383

Its not the money , its the GUESSING on angle, you were just gonna put on the ones you have when we need an angle finder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Right the first time and no more conversion joint, peace of mind and less breakage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Besides who cares get your truck ready so we can wheel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SO technical, i believe it would have worked out, but no biggie, it's your money, and your explaining to the wife... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SSSHHHH, he's gonna keep it a secret,, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, the angle finder is available at Sears or Home Depot for about $10. Shims are less than $20/pair and are probably availably locally. Now I'm not saying that the CV shaft isn't a better solution, but you could have bought the angle finder, measured, bought shims and had it all installed before you will get your new driveshaft.

You probably would have needed 6.5-8.0 degrees of shim after the shackle flip, depending on the position of your T-case and actual suspension height. For reference, I am running about 5" in the back with a shackle flip and am using 6.5 degrees with 1.5" of T-case drop.

15. pauly383

Appreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just wanted simple and after driving it I wanted it done the first time with out dropping my case down . Thanks, but I am stubborn once an idea forms in my thick ole head. Besides I gave up my credit card number and its being built as we speak.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, the angle finder is available at Sears or Home Depot for about $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Where do I find such a tool? I've never seen one at Sears or Home Depot. What does it look like?

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just make sure to replace the joints in your old shaft and put it in the back for a spare. You will need it eventually. On my first run (the one you were at) I almost needed mine. I have some nice gouges in rear driveshaft already.