Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*****FIXED*****

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Apr 23, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

AC power steering to waterpump and crank case belt size is "55.75 .

Heres yet another problem I cant get to the blower right bolt on the pump because of the power steering pump is in the way. So I have been trying to get it out of the way but cant figure out how to do it I took off the bolts that go to the mounting bracket where you can adjust the belt but I still cant get it to budge.

What am I doing wrong????????????

Well I have everyhting off except the water pump now Im just waiting for everything to drain. But I noticed that there is a paper or cardboard gasket in between the pump and the block. My new pump did not come with a gasket liek that I just thought I had to use the rtv on it and it would be fine. Is that true or do I need to get a gasket for the new pump also?

My water pump is a goner. So I need to install a new one. Bt I have never done it on this truck. Is there anything I should know before I start tearing into it? Tips Tricks?
    Also what is the best thermostat I should put in it?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Water Pump?

I just did mine about 3 weeks ago. It isn't hard. Time consuming, but not hard. The only thing I recommend is seperating the bolts you take out by the accesory they came out of (steering resevoir, alternator, etc.) I used a stock 195 stat in mine, and I used a thin coat of Ultra Copper RTV on both sides of the stock gaskets for the water pump and tstat.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just take your time and think about what you're doing. It's pretty straightforward. I did it on my Dad's '97 burb not too long ago.

One thing to be aware of. If you can get the new gaskets to stay in place while you bolt it up without using RTV, then just use the plain gaskets. If you have to use RTV on a side (or both), completely cover the side/sides, not just little dabs. What I did was put two little dabs on each gasket and then plastered them to the block. Then I bolted up the water pump, connected the various hoses, put some more coolant in, and re-routed the serpentine belt. I started it up and it was leaking coolant out of where the pump met the block. I tried to tighten the bolts more to get the gasket/RTV to smush down better, but that didn't do it. I had to take everything back apart and start from the beginning. Needless to say, I scraped off the RTV and just spent a little more time/care holding the plain gaskets in place while I bolted it up. Worked fine after that.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a hint with aluminum manifolds, in case you have one.

If you can see any porosity in the area where the thermostat/housing sit, make sure and use RTV on both sides of the gasket.

If you don't need RTV, and for some reason need to pull the thermostat again, you can sometimes re-use the gasket. Don't ask how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, I'd stick with the 195 t-stat. No real gain to be had by dropping the engine temp.

5. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Make sure you paint the new one before install - i was in a hurry and didnt, now - 2 months later it looks like Sh!t. Go with the 195 thermo, mine runs much better with that one than a 180, hotter is better in the old engines (to a point). Change your belts while u are at it if any are questionable, you will have to take them all out anyway.
    good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

It's an easy job, just take your time and take a few extra minutes to inspect and clean the front of your engine. Everything will probably be fine but if you do have, for example, a leaking timing chain cover it's really easy to fix as long as you have everything apart already. You may also want to clean everything while you are there, it's much easier with the acessories and brackets taken off. Do you do your own tune-ups? Make sure your timing mark is visible. Brush the dirt out and paint your timing mark with white paint, white-out, flourecent Orange or whatever you want , just make sure you can see it clearly.

Pay a few extra dollars to get a N E W water pump. The remanufactured pumps are a little bit cheaper but they have a much higher failure rate than the N E W ones. Even a new, stock pump should be less than $40.

MAKE SURE YOU FLUSH YOUR ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM BEFORE REPLACING THE WATER PUMP !!

It's gotta be clean in there or your new pump won't last long. Make sure you put Distilled water in there when you fill it up, don't use the garden hose.

And most of all ...... Have fun!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure you put Distilled water in there when you fill it up, don't use the garden hose.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dan, your too much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif any water is fine, as long as first you add about 1.3 gallons of antifreeze first to keep it runnin cool.
    And for gawd sakes, dont put the thermostat in upside down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    last, remember to burp the air out when your all done and you warm the engine up.

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    any water is fine,

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't know what the water is like on your side of town but down by my place the water has a very high mineral content. In the past few years I've helped flush out a number of cooling systems from folks around this area and all of them had lot's of scaly deposits .......... except mine. Since I started using distilled water my cooling system always looks clean. It's only about $3.00 for more than enough water to fill it up.

Too bad the rest of the truck looks like crap! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    as long as first you add about 1.3 gallons of antifreeze first to keep it runnin cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was supposed to be 1.2 gallons, not 1.3!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

How's that ZZ4 running? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. uglychevyZZ4

i had 1.2 but then changed it, I thought if I was off by .1 my neighbor DAN would correct me, he's kind of a perfectionist /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he's kind of a perfectionist

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. JimmyJuneau

Re: *****UPDATED******Water Pump?

TTT

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used both the paper gasket and RTV. You don't need to use a gasket though. Scrap the old gasket off and use RTV.

13. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    My new pump did not come with a gasket liek that I just thought I had to use the rtv on it and it would be fine. Is that true or do I need to get a gasket for the new pump also?

[/ QUOTE ]
    YOU NEED to use gaskets. the rtv is less Important than the gasket, that is imperative. they should have had them in the box, if not, go back and demand them, nicely. if they dont hand em over, they are like dolla-fiddy for the pair. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. JimmyJuneau

Re: *****UPDATEDUPDATED UPDATE************* AGAIN!!!

UPDATED AGAIN TTT

15. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

did you get the bolt on the back side of the power steering pump?

16. JimmyJuneau

The one on the bracket? Or is there another one? If so where?

17. rick88blaze

there should be 2 bolts, one on the front and one on the rear for adjustment. the one on the rear is just below the exhaust manifold, and if i remember there is the one on the front next to the water pump that is a stud with a nut. this one is the pivot point for the P.S. pump bracket. hope this helps.
    rick

18. JimmyJuneau

Yeha I got those two but I cant get the pump to budge now.

19. rick88blaze

did you loosen the pivot nut, it's at the top left of the pump, if you're looking at it from the front of the truck.

20. JimmyJuneau

Yeah there all loose or taken off completly.