Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixing a bent frame..

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the front frame horns,from the engine crossmember to the front bumper, are equally bent to the right about an inch. i think the PO hit something on the front passenger side and the frame got tweaked.

how can i get these straightened? i've seen those portable hydraulic rams that can be used for auto repair, could one of those be used?

BTW this is on a lowered 65' gmc 2wd longbed.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You can bring it to a frame shop- But they also sell a whole bunch of tools to do it yourself at home.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thought about a frame ship, but im afraid of what they'd charge and im trying to do this on the cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
    they also sell a whole bunch of tools to do it yourself at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

those hydraulic rams that a mentioned?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i ran the Blackhawk at our shop for a few years back in the body days.. the key to frame machines, other than the pulling capability, are the anchor pots.

pretty difficult to straighten frames when you can't anchor it at different points depending on the pull you wanna make..

its feasable to do certain repairs without a machine, ala redneck style. anchor to trees, porta-powers, etc... but a lot of tweaks are not doable..

if ya want it right, have someone with a machine do it.. prolly be worth the coin or at least getting a price... and those type tools can run big bucks, Mo Clamps are pricey...

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would suggest taking it to a truck frame repair shop.
    Most bodyshops don't have equipment to pull full frames.

Is the wheelbase off??
    Can you see any damage???

I've used trees, comalongs, and winches in a pinch...
    to save cash.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

A guy I buy parts from (who has had 100's of blazer,burb,trucks) fixes his like this:

Heats up the spot he wants to bend then grabs a BFSH and swings away. I have seen him do a horn on a rig he was reselling and it worked pretty quick. All he was trying to do was get it close enough so he could sell the truck.

Its cheap and easy...

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    A guy I buy parts from (who has had 100's of blazer,burb,trucks) fixes his like this:

Heats up the spot he wants to bend then grabs a BFSH and swings away. <snip>

Its cheap and easy...

[/ QUOTE ]

It will also make the frame weaker. I can point you to a guy near Salem, OR with an extra '66 GMC frame if you just want to do a frame swap cheap?