Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixing dents

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Jun 2, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

today a I got my frist dent it was not even offroad I backed in to a light pole at about 2 mph just a nuff to bend the end of my bumper witch then bent my left rear panel right behane the wheel. What is the best way to get the dent out and not have it look to bad and I cant aford a body shop so I have got to do it my self and what tool do I need

I felt so stupid after it happend but you know Sh!t happens
    and it happend to me the reason I did not see the thing is that my eagin had just started to miss and it frecked me out.

Thansk and sorry for the long post.

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Now that first one is out of the way!Yeah!!!Just character mark>Brady

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

A flat hammer and a block to hold against the body on the outside, some bodyfill and sandingpaper, light to hard. Remove the bumper and hammer it out from behind holding the block on the outside. When you are satisfied, sand of all the paint to the metal. use bodyfill and wet-sand after it's dry, see if you need to use some more bodyfill, wetsand again and when you are happy with the results prime and paint. Use masking tape to make clean lines.
    Get a book at the libary on bodywork, It is alot of fun when you master it. It's also trail and error, but you can always go back and try again, and again.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Make sure that the metal is clean,Very Clean, and Very Dry before you put the filler in.The MOST important thing is to pound the metal out as much as possible and,use minimal filler.Too much body filler will end up cracking and falling out.(when I say minimal I mean Thickness,1/2" thick bondo won't last past the second big bump,Take my word for it).Also make sure to use a good sealing primer over the top.Raw body filler likes to absorb moisture which will make the underlying metal rust and the filler will loose it's adheasion(sp) and fall out. Good Luck!

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info I took it down to the bear matel and beat the dent out more or less and tomarow I am going to put some bondo on it I got a haynes manual so I cansee how to do it right but insted of painting it I thank I am going to line-x it so it will look like a rock gard.

The hardest part was takeing off my bumper it was a b!tch and a half my resse hitch got in my way and I had to cut thes springs off my tail gate to get two bolts out and now my tailgate is hevey as hack but it still works.

Thanks agine

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry , I should have told you about the tailgate-springs. When you remove the bumper those will get in the way. I got a wisegrip set on the bastard, but then I had allready cut my springs, so there was nothing to get in the way of the grips. I threw my spring-stubs away but wish I hadn't They could maybe be welded back on cause that tail is heavy. If someone other than me open it and I forget to tell them first I see windows shuttering.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>