Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixing frame carnage???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Aug 30, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Well two weekends ago at the Llano river i managed to rip off my front bumper on one side and crush the frame on the other. Its onlyh screwed up infront of the radiator support, so it doesn't effect anything major. Actually its just kinda twised into an E rather than a C. I'm planning on trying to fix it this weekend so i can put my bumper back on. Any ideas other than a sledge hammer?? Thanks Doug

Doug Krebs

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Are you planning to use a stock bumper or go with an aftmkt. custom bumper? You can cut it off 4" from the frame damage and weld in or bolt in a donor section from another truck. IF you do want any sort of strength out of this type of setup I would sandwich the frame in between two pieces of 1/4" cold rolled flat stock.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

What fr8train said is the RIGHT way to fix it. What the heck did ya do to pull the bumper sideways?- Hard pull out of a stuck?

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Oh bye the way it isn't a stock bumper. I was stuck in a very precarious situation. I came down over a ridge and couldn't back up because of property lines. Llano is notorious for tickets, the property owners are out in camo with binoculars waiting for your tire to cross the line. So when i come down over the ridge (due to poor spoting) my front bumper came face to face with a rock. We decided the best thing to do was apply the throttle and hopefully slide up the rock. Well instead of that happening, it twisted and pushed in one side of the frame, and pulled the bracket off the other side. Acted like a lever with a 5500 pound vehicle and gravity on it since i was still on the slope. Oh well any more suggestions other than a better approach angle. Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs