Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fixing intermit wipers, swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BRN78BLAZER, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what happend to the intermittent wipers on my 78 k5, but i know some of the wiring is gone and the module itself is gone. Mist, low and high work, delay and speed control do not work. I cannot find the parts I need from a truck in any junk yard, but there are plenty of impala/caprices with it on the wiper switch.

I want to know if it would be possible for me to swap out the wiper arm/switch, then use the wiring and module from an impala/caprice. Anybody know if the column parts are interchangable? And what exactly are the parts I would need to grab out of the new column?

Thanks for any replies, Steve.

2. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Try LMC Truck. They have a lot of parts. Order a catalog with this link. LMC Truck catalog

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Come column parts are interchangeable, but some are not...you'd be best off getting the whole thing, because if you didn't, guaranteed you would need something you didn't grab.

Fuse panel wiring is different IIRC, since the wires changed from the dash to the column, and the plugs changed obviously. It could be done, but sounds like a real pain. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. BRN78BLAZER

Thanks guys, I think i'll just try and find the proper parst to fix mine to keep it simple. I'll try LMC.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BRN78BLAZER

Actually, I was just thinking. Anybody know if I found a van of similiar year of my k5, would it have the same type of intermittent control, switch, wires and module? If so I could probly just grab the wiring and module to fix mine.

--Steve--

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On your '78, is it still the "old style" wiper switch, or is it the same style they used up until they went to column? (there are two dash mount styles)

Can't remember how they differ, but if it's the "newer" style, they should be quite easy to find in the wrecking yard.

The "old style", I've NEVER seen a delay wiper, but I don't peruse the older trucks much. I know they exist, just not very common, so hence your problem.

If you go back old enough on the cars or vans, they might use the same wiring as well. Just have to pull the switch out of one and compare.

7. BRN78BLAZER

Yeah it is the newer style switch, Sounds like I'm in luck.

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif