Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixing my Fubar...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Mar 14, 2007.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Well a week and a half ago, I wrecked my tacoma...my dd. Life sucks, anways...last weekend I tore it apart since it needed basically everything from the firewall forward except the frame, engine and suspension. I definitely got lucky with those not being torn up too badly. Haha check out my heavy duty titanium molded mop bucket...bwahaha, I just noticed that. I also had my first experience with a spot weld cutter...it came it handy since the tacoma is basically a unibody on a frame with a bed behind it. and tomorrow I get to clean up the front clip I picked up in Houston and get it ready to weld up to the frame and body. This is also my first experience with body work, and the crappy pics are from my cell phone. I will be taking more pics tomorrow as I work since I am charging the battery for my digi cam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haha after the wreck I actually commented to the gf, "hey too bad someone else didnt rearend me, I could have just put a flat bed and swap in the cucv axles in it". She just laughed...at me, she thinks Im crazy.

Regards,
    Remington

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

nice jacksatang :) i had to use the stands under the project truck for mine when i swapped rearends...used a stool in place of the jackstands :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

lol yeah the jackstands are just barely out of sight...back to work I go.

Remington

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

to the top... On a lighter note, yesterday I took one of my ADD pills, whew I was one focused and crazed drilling, cutting, and grinding machine. Got all the surfaces ground down smooth, all the spot welds drilled out and misc metal discarded, as well as prepped the new front clip, got a coat of por15 on the new clip and the battery tray, and smoothed everything out with a set of hammers and dolleys(body work hammers for the noobs). Back to the grind.

Remington

5. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

more progress..I am starting to feel that yall dont like yotas? Hey hey now I still have my m1008, my dd just needs some tlc at the moment so humor me. Here is some more pics of todays progress. This would make day 2 of reassembling the truck, hopefully two more days of work it will be finished since both will be spent waiting for the ups guy to get here. Yay, I finally have a reason to pic whore, I have to admit I am quite smitten with my work thus far as this is my first body/structural auto work of any kind.

comin apart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    open wide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remington

6. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Only have on tip...

Don't kick the bucket.
    :haha:

Looks good so far! Never welded anything myself though so i cant tell you if you did good or not. I just took the front clip off my K5 and a burb to replace the core support. Hopefully replacing tomorrow..

7. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i do love them 'yotas. like i say, if i hadn't gotten my '72 K5, i'd be over on ttor.com building a 'yota on 1 tons and V8 power. :D maybe you can pick up some pace if you can convince the Lady on swapping in those axles. :haha:

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Thats actually what I had intended on doing if either
    A) there was any extensive frame damage to the front end.
    or
    B) I was then rearended from behind after said accident.

If either of those two would have happened, I would have stripped the axles off of the m1008, sold the m1008 with 3/4 tons, and swapped the axles into the yota and add a divorced tcase. and some body armor of course. I actually wasnt too angry when it all happened, all this was running through my head like a drug dog at a crack house as I pulled into the parking lot following the accident. I am aboot to quit studying and get back to work on it pretty soon, and there will be some more pics tonight hopefully. So far I have gotten the new front clip tacked in place, and I am in the process of fitting the fenders to make sure I dont have to move it around before I get it all welded up nice and snug

Regards,
    Remington

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Update suckas....well I have been working on this thing like crazy in between the gf, school, work, and slummin around on here while I should be doing other things...man this place it addicting. Anyways, the wreck was the week before spring break, and I have now gotten the truck running and driving as of earlier this afternoon. The green actually isnt too bad, atleast its not some ghettofabulous metallic orange or pepto pink or something outrageous like that. Here are last weeks pics that I just uploaded and I will get some more later this week in between errands. Enjoy. My neighbors have been commenting on letting me "pimp out" their newish 06 gmc sub. Haha, yeah right... Pic whore time. These are the pics of after it was all welded up nice and tight, measured, aligned, welded more, joint sealing compound applied to look factory...with two different colors, and also some spray paint I had laying around that miraculously matched the factory paint almost exactly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is the core support that was wrecked, after being pulled out 10 inches with a neighbors powerstroke and a link of chain...good times. Actually had to pull it out before I could untangle it from the engine.

Remington

10. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

should have swaped to the 97&up big head light front end:D

looks good though:waytogo:

11. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I am afraid that would have been a whole nother can of worms, the whole front end is one piece, plus the newer front ends are different where they are spot welded to hold all the panels together, no time to fab stuff. Plus I kinda like this front end style mo betta.

Also thanks for the comment, paint will come this summer.

Remington

12. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Well here are some pics I snapped on my camera phone earlier after taking it for a quick spin. Enjoy the pic whoring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remington

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice job, too bad about the little dent in the drivers fender... :doah:

Mind you, that shouldn't be a big deal to fix either.

Rene

14. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

X2!

15. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

X3!!

Great job man, that thing looks really well done.

16. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah it was already dented when I picked up the front clip in Houston, when I got it home, popped it out with a light deadblow hammer, and when I was bolting everything back up under the hood, I guess I leaned up again that area and it popped back in. All I really have to do is take off the corner light and stick my hand back inside the fender to pop it back out, which I will pb just wait until I paint it to do so. Thanks for the comments, this was actually my first time to do any type of body work besides doing POR 15 in my last project truck.

Remington