Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixing rust. Replace body mounts first?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scrubby, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I'm about ready to jump into fixing my rockers, floors, and whatever else I find in there. Would you guys recommend replacing the body mounts and adjusting all the gaps before cutting? Makes sense to me to get it right first. Any comments?

2. bigdon-70blazer

bigdon-70blazer Registered Member

My body guy wanted the body back on the frame before doing any cutting and replacing of rockers and etc. So I have the body off now and have the frame at the sandblaster so I can repaint it then remount body with the new body mounts then do the body work and paint.

P1010107.JPG

P1010165.JPG

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

its best to have the body mounts fixed first becasue then you can get every thing to line up right if not you will throw off all your work when you do the body mounts later

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Also, in addition to putting the body on the frame with fresh body mounts (bushings, etc...) you have to make sure you secure the dash/firewall/windshield frame section to the main tub so:

1) the doors are will properly fit/align/close
    2) the dash/firewall/windshield frame section doesn't fall off/separate from the main tub!

5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure to keep the hard top on also!! Very important!

It will keep the firewall where the firewall needs to be.

6. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make darn sure the doors line up properly BEFORE you do any cutting. A lot of times it involves shimming up the front mounts (the front cab mounts) an inch or more, if you plan on running the hard top then make sure it's bolted up securely and fitting correctly. Take measurements on the door openings, the windshield frame etc. Once you cut out the rocker boxes and cab supports there is no structure left and the firewall and windshield frame are free to flop around. Take your time and make sure everything is braced, and don't be afraid to take the doors on and off at every step.