Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fixing the shackle angles (PICS)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Nov 22, 2004.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well it has begun. I followed the advise of Tim and his webshots and pulled the axle out and got to work. Here are a few pics
    Here is the new mount location. It ended up almost 3 inches forward on the frame. I took the hole i cut out and welded it into the old location just for looks.

[​IMG]

Here is the drivers side spring and new shacles installed. The new shackles are 6" center to center. The picture makes it look wierd but the shackles are near verticle now with no weight on them.
    Let me know what you think
    [​IMG]

The main reason for the work is that the stock shackles were badly bent towards the passenger side and allowing the spring to hit the frame. Later i will get a pic of the stock bushings so you can see that they were almost gone

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

was this for a 52" spring? reason i ask is i see alot of people doing this but when i did mine i followed Sandmans lead and used nothing but the ORD shackles i allready had, the shackle is straight up and down just like normal, I'v been trying to figure this difference out for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not 52's. I only moved the rear mount. As far as i know they are 6" skyjackers

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have 6" shackles on mine as well with 52s and the shackle almost has too much angle on it. Probably has to do with how fresh the spring is.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I really like how you used the "hole" to close up the old position. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif As I've been studying the whole 52"/shackle move thing going on lately I've wondered if the two holes would make the frame weaker right there.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am not sure if it would make the frame weaker......I just like playing with my welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry to go off topic but what are your trucks specs. Just noticed you have a 465 under there.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

87 chevy longbed <ul type="square"> [*]stock 305 TBI [*]SM465 [*]NP 208 [*]Dana 60 detroit, 4.56 30 SPL outers [*]14 FF Detroit, 4.56. SKY disk brake brackets [*]6" Skyjacker lift springs in the front, rear is some wierd combination of leaves and blocks [*]35" BFG muds [/list]
    Things is the works are
    <ul type="square"> [*]Crossover with HYD assist [*]Rear shackle flip [*]replacing the sunroof. as of now it is a piece of plexi-glass held on by duct tape [/list]