Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flag burning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudjunkie 82, Feb 12, 2004.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The guy a few doors down from me had a Rebel Flag Flying in front of his house /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifLast night someone threw Gasoline on it and set it on fire. Almost set his house on Fire............................................... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Why do people insist on being so stupid? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

some people just dont have a clue /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

idiots /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Well, its kinda funny, but not.

Off Topic:
    If an american flag touches the ground, arent you supposed to burn it?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Well, its kinda funny, but not.

Off Topic:
    If an american flag touches the ground, arent you supposed to burn it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it just touches the ground, I don't think you have to burn it. When it becomes unfit for use anymore, i.e. worn out, then burning is the preferred method of disposal. That said, it's not like you can just toss it in the street, pour gas on it and then dance around while it burns, it's supposed to be a solemn thing. When I do it I generally cut the field of stars from the stripes first because I can't bring myself to burn a whole flag.

Almost burning the guy's house down was stupid, but I have no problems with someone burning a rebel flag.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Everything I've ever heard on burning an American flag is that only a Veteran or active military can burn a flag. I've been part of this, and thought the flag was well beyond out of service, it was still a very solemn event.

Kris

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Man thats just wrong to burn someones Confederate flag.....And to endanger someone(s) lives and house is just awful.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif [​IMG]

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I guess I just don't get the whole confederate flag thing, especially if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

There's nothing in the flag code about that, it just says that burning is teh preferable method of destruction for a flag that beyond it's service life.

http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BREED! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Bill

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its just a southern thang yall!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FYI if you have a worn out flag you can take it to a VFW and they will dispose of it for you, and even some of the VFW post will replace it for free. I also know that Walmart will do the same but its only for certain times of the year I guess when they feel patriotic of something. As someone said it does not have to be a Vet which is very true but thats something that has gotten popular lately, is to have a vet or service member do it for you. Its sad that someone has to burn a Confederate flag thats just some ignorant person that has NO BALLS to confront the person to ask him to move it or remove it(even though I would not remove my flag). Its America's God given right that me and my brothers/sisters fight to uphold. Freedom of speech!!! God Bless America....

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just playing devils advocate here...would you still feel that way if it was a big Nazi Flag? Would you still say God Bless America and thank God for free speech? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

rene

15. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As Im sure you enjoy playing devils advocate LOL But my answer is YES!!! If you want a Nazi flag hang it high just remember you cant do that in other countries without getting drug out in the streets and shoot or made an example of. Ive seen people with nazi flags and many other flags that stand against what the American belief is. But I still believe in the fact that you have the right to do that and I'll die fighting for that right if it comes to that.

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

If it was a Nazi flag then I'd have to kick your a$$ and burn it with your flag!

My brothers and I are the first generation of our (German) family born in this country and it all this neo-nazi crap is an insult to those families that fought against Hitler. I don't shave my head anymore because too many people were mistaking me for some Nazi skin head. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif AUUUUUUGH I hate nazi skin head wanna be's, wanna killem all! (I know that doesn't make me any better)

17. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i cant stand people that despise the Confederate flag for stupid reasons. theres a black girl here at school who FLIPPED OUT over my confederate battle flag license plate. went to the office about it and all. the administration didnt do anything about it, but she did it because she thought i was racist and that the Confederate flag stands for racism and hate. ignorance is the scourge of America... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

there is no way to seperate the issue of slavery from the confederate flag. You can no more do that then you can seperate the issue of concentration camps from the nazis swastika flag. Now, as an American I think people should be able to fly whatever flag they want... at the same time, I have the right to think said person is an a-hole. Slavery is repulsive and morally unjustifyable. IMO death is better than being a slave... which is why I spent 4 years in the Marines defending the USA, protecting Americans from people elsewhere imposing their will upon us.

If you want to fly a nazi flag, or a confederate flag or a jolly roger flag, be my guest... but don't tell me how I should interpret it when you do.

j

19. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I will not tell you how to interpret the flag. But, are you saying that the confederate flag is the same as the nazi flag?

I am going to disagree wholeheartedly on that issue. The Jewish population did not sell their own people to become slaves. The Jews were all found and taken to camps. Some escaped, many, many died. Many slaves that came to America, were sold by their own people to the "terrible" plantation owners.

I disagree that the two flags should be put on the same level. There is more to the Confederate flag than just slavery. I personally think slavery is reprehensible. But I do fly the confederate flag on occasion.

Many countries think we are imposing our will and views on them. As a soldier in the Marines, did you think what you were doing for your country was wrong?

John

p.s.
    BTW, I do sincerely appreciate your service to this country in the Marines. I truly mean this, Thank You!

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its just a southern thang yall!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif [ QUOTE ]
    ignorance is the scourge of America...

[/ QUOTE ] And unfortunately this is one of the main areas of ignorance.

Now time for my speechifying. In MY OPINION the flag doesnt stand for slavery by any means. What it does stand for is my ancestors sacrifices. In my family 3 fought and 2 of those died, that we know of. The flag is part of my heritage. Those who live in the South can understand this I believe, if for no other reason, when you go to cities like Charleston or Columbia or Wilmington, cities that had much participation in the war, you can feel like you are in that time. You feel as though you are part of that time. Atleast I can. And even to those who say its racist and representative of slavery, why cant you treat it as a reminder to your ancestors who died under it and for what it stands. You dont have to agree with what it stands for in my opinion, make you own resolution not to forget your ancestors. A jewish man who lived through the holocaust came to our school, said anytime he see's a swastika he is indeed saddened, BUT he also remembers his family who suffered under it. He is reminded of them and he vows to never forget them. Any flag or symbol that has a some dark history associated w/ it will always have two sides to view it from. But even if you are on the side that hates it for whatever reason, is it not possible to simply use it as a reminder? Maybe I dont see the full picture because I am from the South and I am white. Maybe I ignore their view and try to oversimplify it, but a man who lived through the worst attrocity of the 20th century can see an awful symbol as rememberance, then why cant someone who is 3, 4, or 5 generations removed see it as a rememberance and not simply see the dark side of it? These are my opinions and I dont expect everyone to agree with them, but I ask you to simply consider.