Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flame on....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 89GMCSuburban, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I read this article :

Macarena Hernández:
    America, stand up for justice and decency

05:02 PM CDT on Saturday, October 15, 2005

On the last night of September, while they slept after a long day of work in the fields, six men were beaten to death with aluminum bats. One was shot in the head. Among the victims, a father and son killed in the same battered trailer.

The killers demanded money as they broke their bones.

The victims were all Mexican farm workers living in rundown trailer parks spread across two counties in southern Georgia. They had earned the money the killers were after by sweating their days on cotton and peanut farms or building chicken coops – the kind of jobs you couldn't pay Americans enough to do.

In a few hours, the killers hit four trailers. In one, they raped a woman and shot her husband in the head, traumatizing their three small children, who were present. In others, they left at least a half-dozen men wounded. Some are still in the hospital with shattered bones, including broken wrists from trying to protect their faces from the bats.

The news of the killings in Georgia reverberated outside Tift and Colquitt counties, but it didn't cling to national headlines like you would expect with such a bloodbath. Two weeks later, residents are still afraid the attackers will come back, even though the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has arrested six suspects and charged them with the slayings.

Across the country, assaults on immigrants are common and happen at a much higher rate than reported. Two years ago in Grand Prairie, a pushcart ice cream vendor was shot to death and robbed. Seven months later, another one met the same fate in west Oak Cliff. In March, at a Far North Dallas apartment complex, two thieves raped and killed a 20-year-old woman. They slit her husband's throat.

In Dallas, attacks against immigrants are one reason individual robberies have gone up in the last five years. Authorities call undocumented immigrants "ready-made victims." Without proper documentation to open bank accounts, many resort to stashing their sweat-soaked earnings under mattresses, in kitchen cabinets, in their socks or boots. If they are robbed, many don't call police for fear of deportation or because, back home, cops aren't trusted, anyway.

Some solutions are simple and concrete, such as making it easier for immigrants to establish bank accounts. Wells Fargo and Bank of America are among the banks that require only a Mexican consulate-issued ID card to open an account; others require documentation many immigrants lack. If there was ever a reason for adopting the more lenient policy, this is it.

More globally, horrors like these demand that a nation descended from immigrants take a hard look at the ways we think and speak about these most recent arrivals.

When Paul Johnson, the mayor of Tifton, where three of the four attacks took place, responded by flying the Mexican flag at City Hall, some residents complained. "I did that as an expression of sorrow for the Hispanic community," he told reporters. "For those who were offended, I apologize, but I think it was the right thing to do."

Were the complainers angrier about the red, white and green Mexican flag fluttering in the Georgia air than they were about the horrific murders? Do they watch Fox's The O'Reilly Factor, where the anchor and the callers constantly point to the southern border as the birth of all America's ills? (Sample comment: "Each one of those people is a biological weapon.")

It is one thing to want to secure the borders and another to preach hate, to talk of human beings as ailments. Taken literally, such rhetoric gives criminals like those in southern Georgia license to kill; it gives others permission to look the other way. In this heightened anti-immigrant climate, what Mr. Johnson did was not only a welcome gesture, but a brave one, too.

There are those who will want to gloss over the deaths of these six men because they are "criminals" and "lawbreakers," in this country illegally. But regardless of where you stand on the immigration reform debate, you can't stand for the senseless death of the vulnerable.

We should all be outraged. We must demand justice. Or else the real criminals here will win.

Macarena Hernández is a Dallas Morning News editorial columnist. Her e-mail address is mhernandez@ dallasnews.com.

And sent this to the stupid chick :

Reading your article, frankly, made me want to vomit. I moved to Colorado from Texas after living there for 23 years. You know why I moved? Money...pay. You see, apparently I have a job that you and your minions tend to think is one that americans "don't want to do". I'm a diesel mechanic. I went to school, paid through myself, and have loans now that I must pay back. I have tools that I have to pay for...$10,000 dollars of them. I have to pay my bills, living on my own...yet someone in Texas wants to pay me $8 an hour. $8....you tell me....can YOU live on $8 an hour...on your own...with insurance, rent, gas, tools, student loans and all the other things you need to live? Apparently, that kind of money is too much to get any govt. assistance, thanks to my age. The wages are almost DOUBLE for my line of work here in Colorado. Now you tell me...Texas being a border state and Colorado not being one....don't you think there's a link? You should...three of my former co-workers in Texas were illegal immigrants....that actually received assistance, but somehow could afford brand new trucks. I have to stick to my 15+ year old vehicle.
    My point is, don't you dare think that these are jobs americans won't take. If I had no job, and a job as a cotton picker was open...I'd be taking it. So to say that these jobs are unwanted is a load of bull.
    I worked at Mc. Donalds while going back to school...the perfect job for teenagers to get a grip on what work will be like in their future....well, it used to be. 3/4 of the crew did not speak english...at all. They were all in their 30's as well. Well, looks like teens can get their work experience there anymore....because that's a job americans don't want.....
    You should listen to Glenn Beck more often. He states it exactly as LOGIC presents itself to us......I don't have a problem with immigration, my great grandparents were immigrants. My problem is that they are here ILLEGALLY. That is the key word ILLEGALLY. It's a shame that they were killed, and it is horrible. But.....presenting them as "immigrants" like mainstream media does is incorrect. They are not immigrants...they are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. And now that I have seen what they do to MY wages and MY standard of living...I make it a point to call my INS buddy about any illegals I see. It's not just a duty to the laws of this country, but (to be selfish) a protection to myself and my RIGHT to live comfortably in a country I am LEGALLY a part of.
    Now I can only hope, an ILLEGAL immigrant with a diploma comes across and takes YOUR job from you, just so you can know EXACTLY how it feels to have your occupation deemed "unwanted" by people just like yourself.

Good Day,
    Matt

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

falling upon deaf ears, welcome to the world of entitled democrats, the world where what people like us do is work that, because they won't do it, "no american would do".

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well said, well said. I've taken jobs shoveling sh_t at the stock yards before because I needed work. So I hear ya on the jobs american's won't do.

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I worked a job that no american would work for a long time... Here in Winnipeg though, its us who work hard and pay the bills for alot of people around here. Our wellfare system is so SNAFU its unreal. I work my ass off for my paycheck get 1/6th of it taken to taxes and half of those taxes go to the wellfare system so some... I better stop now so I dont get a warning.... im getting too angry thinking about it. I should take some pictures of some of the places I work in, it is enough to make anyone sick...

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

This is the only thing I have to say to that woman:

image.jpg

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we have a bad system in mich ourselves.its not as bad as it was though.generations on the system.the days of peeps making $25.00 an hour to put a screw in a hole are gone.illegal or not we are in a world market. (illegals must go). where i live ,we all rely on the auto industry, it is fooked right now. DELPHIE, one of the biggest suppliers wants peeps making $26.00 an hour to take concesions and make $12.00 an hour. :eek1: how are they going to make it ??it won't happen . the lease program killed the auto industry,it was a bandade and its finally wore out.this woulda happened 10 years ago but people want to OWN a new car every two years. :rolleyes:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We ain't seen NOTHING yet...

It is a shame what is happening to america lately..It all started when Bush's father started preaching the "New World Order"..then Clinton signed the NAFTA treaty with Mexico..now "W" has us over in Iraq,finishing the war his father started,(and should have finished 12 years ago,and claimed the oil fields as "spoils of war")..we would not be watching Saddam on TV tonite,getting the fair trial he does not deserve,had he done the job right then..we'd have plenty of cheap oil,and Iraq would be a free,and rather rich country..

Now its harder for an american to get a welfare check or SSI disability,because all the illegal ailens and immagrants seem to get a red carpet treatment at those government handouts,and the system is tapped out!..I know--I am in dire need of assistance,but because I have a mothers home to live in,I'm automatically disqualified..and SSI disability takes YEARS of claims,lawyers,and doctors reports to even be considered..I told one case worker if my last name was spanish,I'd already be cashing my checks by now.. :mad: I was the only white skinned male in the place,that looked like an american..felt like Iwas in a forigen country ... :screwy: :mad:

And if you are healthy,and CAN work,you can't find a job,they ones from other countries who ARE willing to work TOOK your job!..They actually prefer to hire minorites over americans now,in fear of being sued for "discrimination"..

I think they are trying to kill off the middle class in america if you ask me--they make a house too costly to afford on an 8 dollar an hour job,and if you get sick,you'd be better off dying than paying the medical bills without insurance now..

They want 2 classes of people in america--RICH,and POOR--so the POOR can be the RICH people's slaves,and run their Mcdonalds,and Wal-Marts,etc..the days of good high paying jobs that need an education to get days are numbered..we will all be cheap labor pretty soon,living like third world countries..the price of fuel and heating oil not only adds to the misery,it keeps us poorer,and more likely to freeze or starve to death this winter..and all theese hurricanes and floods and wildfires will be the final blow to many peoples life savings,not to mention losing all they ever had..The bible said the world would end this way..I think its coming faster than we think.. :eek1:

The auto industry is in for a swift kick in the nuts if fuel prices dont recover to where they were a year ago..many car dealers here are already hurting,except for the ones selling toyotas and Hondas--The bottom has dropped out of the used car market,there is such a glut of traded in SUV's and gas guzzlers,that no one wants,or can afford.. Like I said--WE ain't seen NOTHING yet,if you think its bad now...just wait.. :doah:

8. gauder

gauder Banned

If I was that disabled, I wouldn't own 4 vehicles!

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

5, one was a gift, and the others really arent that uncommon to find for a very reasonable price.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey, why not just kick the guy in the nuts while you're at it? :rolleyes:

Rene

11. Jemaddux

Jemaddux Registered Member

What they seem to forget is the fact of how many people are killed in the U.S. every day because some illegal piece of S@@T has a drug habit. How about how many of them spend thier nights breaking into our cars, homes and so on? Our jails are filled and yet they still say they are treated unfairly. They expect us to learn thier language but refuse to learn ours. My uncle had a cabinet shop when I was a kid that I worked in pushing a broom when I was eight. I worked there part time until I was sixteen and also worked for a plasterer summers from the time I was fourteen. I never minded the hard work. Now, I can't get my kids doing any work because there is some illegal willing to take the job for any money. We need to close our borders but of course when I say that it makes me a racist, um um if thats what it takes to get our country back, I can live with being called a racist. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. gauder

gauder Banned

Sure, I will! You know why, because I have a disability and I work. I'll take the flaming I may get for saying this, but come on! Even working for minimum wage at Walmart (who hires people with disabilities) would be better than a lot of the people who cry about having a bad back or whatever their problem is.

I'll stop now before I dig myself to far down. If this qualifies for a ban, then do it. I'll be a man and accept the consequences of my actions, but as someone with a disability I won't sit idly by and watch someone play the "crip" card.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey, brother. A Mod nicely and subtly warned you that your reply was out of line and that's how you respond? I know you're relatively new here, but generally the Lounge is a fun place, where members come to chill and BS with their buddies.

I'll be a little more clear than Rene- If you honestly want to be banned, keep up the good work........:deal:

I'm locking this one before it spirals downward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.