Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flame thowers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Apr 10, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok...illegal yes, but is it dangerous?

i figure if a flame ignited the exhaust in the rear of the truck, it would catch and flow back to the motor wouldnt it?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

From what I understand, the air injection and/or the cat burns up any unburnt fuel, so doesnt come out of the exhaust. I have no cat /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But I figure there is not enough O2 in the exhaust to allw ignition to occur. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I can't imagine that there would be enough of a vacuum from back to front that would allow the flame to travel. From what I've seen of the thangs they are mainly used at take off.

If I ever build an old sled you can bet your bippy that it'll have fire shootin out them tailpipes.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I know a kid who did this through ignorance, left the O2 sensor off his 88 Ford and ran around getting 2mpg and 3 foot flames, he thought he was cool, turns out, he isn't

Anyway, I'd imagine it'd be hard to get a flame to travel all the way up an exhaust pipe, I'd imagine it'd blow up first

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

isn't there something that you put at the very end of the exhaust that makes fire come out? I dont no... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    Aren't some just injecting fuel near the end of the exhaust with an ignition source? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But better yet, Why /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Aren't some just injecting fuel near the end of the exhaust with an ignition source? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But better yet, Why /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what I mean. I think it'd look cool on a really old hot rod! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. mofugly13

They did something like that on a Monster Garage. It was a setup that injected propane into the exhaust pipe, I think the exhaust was hot enough to ignite the propane as soon as it exited and mixed with the air at the tailpipe.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what day(s) is Monster Garage on? I keep on missing it when I watch TV. They have some pretty interesting stuff on there!

10. mofugly13

Used to be Mondays, 9:00pm. But lately they've been showing reruns, or American Chopper marathons. Some talk chit about it, but I don't care how much they go over budget or how many freebies they get, I am interested in the fabbing. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

another way to do it is wire a switch to your coil wire, and run that to another coil and to a spark plug taped in to the end of your exhuast pipe, when you hit the switch & rev it up causing the plugs to only get 1/2 power and not buring all the fuel there for you have raw fuel coming out of the exhaust wich ignites when it gos across the spark plug.
    I probably would have done this to my truck but im running dumps and I dont think a flame thrower woudl be cool under the truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    and also you need to change the oil more because you will probably end up with gas in your oil

12. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

You rev up your engine and cut the ignition which allows un burned fuel into your exhaust, then you just ignite the flames with like a spark plug in the exhaust pipe.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Most of the time the guys de tune the carbs, so they run like crap and theres a bunch of unburned fuel, then switch on the spark plug.

Im rigging mine up so that theres an injector right before the spark plug. I had also thought about running a second injector, burning alcohol, so at night, Id shoot some SICK Blue flames!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i had that on my 42 pontiac,it had a combustion chamber from a model A ford and 8" tips it would shoot 6ft flames
    it had 2 ignition boxes the trunk and spark plugs in the pipes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.i miss that sled /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif great to start bon fires

15. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

There is a Red Chevy Nomad Wheel Stander that uses natural gas to make flames come out a set of fake pipes. They use spark plugs, which are connected to a coil, and are screwed into the pipes to ignite the gas. They disconnect the coil ground wire, through a switch, when they want the plugs to fire.

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i know how they work for the fifth time

17. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

If you know how they work, then why are you asking about them. What you are asking about is just a "pipe dream" any way. I know, and you know, you will never come through on this silly idea. The only people that build this type of thing are people that get paid to do exhibition runs at racing events; like robosaurus or wheel-standers.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I seen on "Trucks" a kit that throws flames out the exhaust. Stacey installed in on a lowered truck.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

20. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

not true /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif people have them in thier cars in nj or the led east shows fun times /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifillegal yes, if you are a buthead.........

49 merc owner known as the fonz check asburypark press nj
    12ft flames on a bad day