Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flames out the exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey_Mitchell25, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Corey_Mitchell25

Corey_Mitchell25 Newbie

I thought there has to be someone out there willing to lend me a hand. Here's the problem its a 1986 truck with a GM rebuilt replacement engine 350 c.i. the previous owner took off the C3 carburetor and installed a edelbrock (carter AFB) carb. I've gone through the distributor and checked vacuum advance and mechanical advance, they both seem to be operating okay with full advance by 2800rpm the initial time is set at 4 degrees BTDC i have a strong feeling it is running rich. seen black smoke out of the exhaust under acceleration. the vehicle is a manual transmission and every time you let off the gas to shift up or down it backfires. It was cool at first but now it s just annoying. Also when driving at night I've seen flames out of the exhaust. The previous owner had taken out most of the vacuum lines and the distributor is getting ported vacuum the air pumps are still hooked up but I'm not too sure if the A.I.R. injection is working. I was thinking about advancing the distributor to about 12 degrees or so to see if that helps. any help is appreciated
    Corey

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like a rich condition.

3. Corey_Mitchell25

Corey_Mitchell25 Newbie

yeah thats what I was thinking I adjusted the idle air screws and got it idling pretty decent

4. stewburban

stewburban Registered Member

try the air injector pump disconnect the belt and see what happens if not set up vacuum gauge and see what it reads on a port.

5. Corey_Mitchell25

Corey_Mitchell25 Newbie

yeah I'm waiting on a set of headers I decided to remove the air injection setup and now the truck has no manifolds on it, I went through and rebuilt the carb today with an edelbrock rebuild kit so i'll give it a try in a couple days see how it runs, i found a lot of sediment in the carb and also the floats were out of adjustment set way too high anyways I'll type back when i get everything on and running today