Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flamingly pissed off turned into fairly happy *D60 fiasco

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Aug 16, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I installed the D60 in my burb a few months ago, and have been driving with no front driveshaft because the gears weren't the same as the rear. I finally got all the good stuff I needed for the install (gears, locker and install kit) and took it to the only place in town that does gears.
    I took it in late friday morning and they said they wouldnt be able to finish it then but would have it done by monday. So today roles around, and I gave them a call this morning, they said they had just started it today and it'd be done this afternoon /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Got pissed, said w/e and played video games all morning and afternoon.

Gave them another call around 2 and the lady said there were some problems and she needed to go talk to the mechanic /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. She then told me that it had been full of water and all the bearings and seals, the long and short inner shafts, one stubb shaft and one spindle all needed to be replaced. I had not touched the axle since I put it in, I had just been driving on it with no problems for a few months. I figured they were trying to screw me. I was so pissed that I decided to go over there and look for myself, by the time I got there my head hurt because I was so mad. They took me back into the shop and showed me everything, the oil they had drained looked like chocolate milk, and all the shafts they said needed to be replaced were covered in rust. At this point I started to cool down. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

After talking to the mechanic for awhile, he told me and showed me everything that was wrong. HE told me to stick my finger in the bottom of the longside axle tube, and my finger sunk about 1/4" into rusty, greasy sand. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So they hadn's screwed me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. I asked him about cost, and he said that it'd be about $450-500 for parts, all brand new spicer stuff. He also told me he wasnt going to charge me for labor because he had to take all that stuff apart to do the gears anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif At that point I was sitting there doing calculations in my head, and realized this was actually prety cool lol. Assuming everything else works out Ok, I will end up having spent about $1800 on a full rebuilt, detroit locked, 4.56 geared D60, and all I did was install it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The peace a 60 brings to your mind is very calming eh?

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I always make it a point to remove the diff cover off an axle before I buy it. Of course, I couldn't when I bought my d60, because the JY man prohibited it. But when I did take it off at home, I found that I (surprise) had some rusty 4.10's in there, and maybe a half ounce of lube. Oh well.

However, when I bought my Eaton rearend, the guy let me take the cover off, and I discovered that I got 4.57 gears, lots of nice looking gear lube, AND a Detroit!!! woo hoo!

glad to hear you had a happy ending to your story!