Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flange position difference for np208 and np205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Mar 25, 2003.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

After many tries, I am finally close to getting another truck. I plan to get an M1009 military blazer, but I don't like the np208. I know that when swapping a 205 in place of a 203, the rear shaft has to be lengthened, and the front shortened, but is this also the case when replacing the 208, which is much shorter? I know I will have to change the U-joints, but since I also plan a 1-ton axle swap, I will only use the hybrid ujoint for now, rather than change the ends of the shaft. I know I will have to do more to the rear shaft, but I will probably keep the slip joint on the 205 until I get the axles, then change the whole shaft and the rear output at the same time.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You will still have to shorten the front shaft. When I swapped from 203 to 205 I had a shaft that came out of my brothers truck with a 208 and it was actually longer than the 203 shaft. Both trucks had 10 bolt fronts and TH350 trannies.

In my area it usually costs around 30-40 dollars to shorten a shaft(rear anyway).