Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flash...........ah....ahhhhhhhh!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Aug 14, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lightning hits AC at takeoff.....pics!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

neet from the looks of it that is a lighting strike that goes UP, yes the do go up too, something about the static build up and grounding o and polarity or something or other read it in a national geographic

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Lightning==ZZOOAUT!

I'm glad I wasn't in that plane!--talk about being a good conductor!. :eek1: must have been like those rockets they send up with ground wires on them to make lightning strike them!...

I've witnessed both kinds of lightning up close!(not by choice!)..there is "cloud to ground" lightning,and "ground to cloud" lightning..the latter,the bolt of lightning actually comes out of the earth,and goes up to the sky!..I saw a pine tree explode in NH where we were cutting trees down for a house lot years ago,when a sudden thunderstorm came up !--

We could not believe it actually blew apart FIRST!,like someone taped a stick of TNT to it!--THEN we saw a big flash,like when a flouresent light bulb lights,and then BOOM!--we were about 75ft away,and we just tossed our chain saws and gas cans aside and RAN as fast as we could to our little shack before we got fried!--we did get drenched too!..

On the way home another bolt of lightning came out of the clouds,and struck another tree only about 100 ft in front of us!..that tree drooped over like it had ben cut! :eek1: ...we never felt secure in that place again!---we had a hard time believing how fast it went from a sunny,calm,but hot day,to a raging lightning and thunderstorm--only took 15 minites for it to change from a perfect day,to perfectly awful!.. :doah: :eek1: :crazy:

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i wasn't aware that there was a cloud to ground lightning. thats pretty neat.

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Jenn was just sayin that the way the lightning travels down the length of the plane is exactly what is supposed to happen. I heard somewhere a while back that planes get struck quite often.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am damn glad that I was not on that plane. I could have actually lived without seeing that. I loved to fly until about 2 mins ago. :eek1: :haha: