Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flashburn blows

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Nov 7, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm reading this screen with sunglasses on /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How'd you manage to flash yourself that bad?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just had to tack weld a piece of steel to the frame of the K5. Eyes closed wasn't working /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif its my own damn fault but it sucks. Runs out my Lincoln 185 is more powerful than the little 110 units in UV ray output as well.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Brace yourself, tomorrow is gonna really suck.

5. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

ouch believe me i feel ur pain. i got a bad case a couple years ago went i stupid and didnt know what a welding mask even was. i got this arc welder at a garage sale and started welding small things like light mount tabs on a odyssey and other things. woke up the next morning in severve pain went to the eye doc and found out what i did wrong(man i was a dumb ass). it does get better tho but ill never forget it. hope ya feel better. and stay in the dark and try some eye drops it seemed to help.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If he's already wearing sunglasses to read the computer...tonight will be hell enough. By tomorrow it should be not too bad, except for the lack of sleep.

You have my sympathy dude...BTDT myself.

Rene

7. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I had kinda the same thing happen to me last week. Was making a harmonic balance installing too. Not so much with my eyes since I bunched them up reall tight. My face got so sunburned it was aweful. Bright red that night and peeled two days later. And this was using a little 110v MIG. Now I know, ALWAYS WEAR A SHIELD!!! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

tonight when you go to sleep your eyes will hurt more to close them then to keep them open, good luck sleeping tonight!
    I've had it so many times, I'm afraid I've done permanant damage! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I did it yesterday. Last night was agony. was perfectly fine for 12 hours. no pain, slightly odd feeling so I knew I did it but that was it. Then 2 am I woke up and was in major pain. Worst thing, my nose was stuffed up big time so I blew it like 20 times and started a nose bleed. So I was blind trying to tend to a nosebleed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Today is "tomorrow". Hopefully its not as bad tomorrow, dad gave me some better sunglasses, had to wear a pair of my mom's all day /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It commonly takes 8-12 hours for the symptoms to start...then another 24-48 for it to get better. My alltime worst lasted almost 5 days, with lingering effects for another 4 or 5 days.

Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Rene

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've been using a pulse welder lately and apparently too light colored of a shirt. The flash was reflecting off the shirt and hitting my ears. There all peeling and such. Pulse welders create a much hotter arc and brighter flash. Closer to that of a tig welder. Flash burn sucks and I feel for ya. Had Arc eye quite a few times. Mostly from other welders in the area when I worked at different places in the past.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i do so much welding with out a mask i get flash 2 or 3 times a week i dont even notice it anymore.

the worst is i get cemical burns on my eyes.
    i think its the dust from cutting and grinding wheels, it burns the serface of the cornia off, leaveing the dead cells on my eyes every thing has halos around them and burns like hell in the light.

my eye doctor is afrade of me, she used dye and a ultraviolit light to look at my eyes and she said its has the texture like the serface of the moon!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Don't [censored] around with your eyes man

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It commonly takes 8-12 hours for the symptoms to start...then another 24-48 for it to get better. My alltime worst lasted almost 5 days, with lingering effects for another 4 or 5 days.

Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I can remember many times when I was little my dad sitting on the couch with two big gauze patches over his eyes. It seemed every person I know who could empathize with me came into work today. One guy said that some guys in the machine shop he works in think its, funny to come up to you and say "Hey look, ZAP". My mouth dropped at that, you better believe you'd lose a few teeth doing that [censored] to me. Practical jokes are one thing, damaging someones vision possibly forever is another. My eyeballs themselves feel fairly decent already, still sensitive of course, the sunburn on my eyelids sucks though. Last time I did this was my Junior year of high school, I guess I learned my lesson again. Hopefully for longer than 2 years. Woke me up to the fact that I need to get out and buy protective clothing. Namely, leather sleeves, long sleeve shirts, and a new helmet with a flip shade.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't [censored] around with your eyes man

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah dude, you can burn your skin all you like but you only get 2 eyes. I [censored] up for like the third time in my 19 years, if I did anything like you are describing my dad would smack me over the head with my welder and never let me touch it again(with good reason).