Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flashburn

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

So I got flash burned like 15-20 times prolly at my welding class tonight. Speedglass auto darkeners dont like TIG welding I guess.

Id be welding alone then all of a sudden i see full arc...AHHHH

peices of crap, and it wasnt the batterys cuz the teacher had some and we swaped them out and it still did it. Must justbe the way the photosensors are or somethin.

Anyway, cold wet cloth on my eyes when I go to bed right. Anyone else got any ideas that will help?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ouch ,sorry dood...

3. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

Get a miller or hobart hood. you will NOT be disappointed!!! I have been using mine every day for about 3 months now and love it, havent had any problems with it.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I plan on buying a Hobart Hood soon. I bought a Hobart Handler 180 a few months back.

This welding glass im taking provides the helmets and leathers, etc. Up until tonight those speedglass helmets were fine but dang...im hurting now. If nothin else Im taking my oldschool hood next week

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, as long as you were still looking at the arc through the helmet you should be OK. Unprotected eyes seeing the arc would put you in a world of hurt though.

If you did get a flash you won't feel any effects until up to 8 hours later...and the symptoms usually last 10-24 hours after. I don't know of any home remedy that works. I usually end up staying up most of the night and toughing it out.

I have heard damp tea bags work, and did try it once. It may have taken the edge off a little, but I had a really bad flash that time.

Rene

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Take some potatoe slices and squeeze the juice into your eyes. Also get a better hood. My Hobart work's great doing tig.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My eyes are definatly sore already Rene. It was still a shade 3 when it clicks back to seeing mode. But then stupid me switched to a old school hood like the last 10 min of class. I nodded and hit the foot pedal. The helmet didnt drop:crazy: .

Ill tough it out. Its not the first time its happened to me. But id venture to say this was the worst yet.

8. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

x2 i put raw patatoes on my eyes when I get flash

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sounds like that class didnt buy the right helmets. you need to make sure it is set up for low voltage tig triggering. my miller auto shade is set up for this.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you weld, flash will eventually happen. Get ahold of some ocuhist eye drops- it used to be prescription, but is now OTC. Visene makes some drops that have the same active ingredient in them, but they are difficult to find at times.

Might be a problem with your hood, speedglas makes some of the best.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bingo. Been there, done that. I hate that with a passion. Watery eyes and burning sensations.....aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! :mad: