Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flashing brake light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badzr2, Mar 20, 2002.

1. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

i have a 90 gmc suburban 4x4. the other day the brake light came on. now it is flashing a code. its like 1 long flash, a pause, then 12 quick flashes. it just down this over and over. the truck stops fine, it has no leaks, well at least none that i have found. there is plenty of fluid, and has new front brake pads. does anyone have an idea what this could be? the book i have on it doesn't say anything. thanks.

2. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Pull the battery cable for a couple minutes.. then see if it's still doing it.

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

my buddies 89 gmc truck's brake light comes on all the time. He has tried to fix it, but can't find any info on it. He just covered it up so it dosn't annoy him as much when driving. If you find out what it is, let us know so that I can help him out.

4. tagurit

I'm pretty sure that this is a code telling you it's time for a brake service. Simply go to/or call GM and ask how to turn it off.

5. tagurit

I'd like to add that when I bought my 81, the brake light was on. Come to find out, the reason it was on was the parking brake lever was pushed in. I had a good laugh about it as I must have driven for 2 months with that light on.

My Manual says to check the RWAL module connections near the master cylinder. Could be.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

A flashing brake light in the instrument cluster is usually indicative of an ABS ECM malfunction. The brakes will still work normally, only the ABS function is disabled.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Anti-lock brakes on a second gen burb??? I didn't know that was an option.

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Similar to the Blazer/Jimmy and Pickups...I think 90 was the first year. My '91 did the "light flash"...turned out to be a broken solder joint on the main PCB where the connector attaches.