Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flashing E-brake light!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any idea what a flashing e-brake light in the dash /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif means? It's on a 90 1/2 ton suburban. Thanks in Advance!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does the 90 have rear abs? If so it could be an abs problem or a brake leak. I know my 95 flashed when I had a rear wheel cylinder blow, the sensor in the proportioning valve sensed the pressure loss.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone have any idea what a flashing e-brake light in the dash /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif means? It's on a 90 1/2 ton suburban. Thanks in Advance!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's the rear wheel ABS computer.

Count the number of flashes -- should be in the pattern of, for example, eight long ones, then one short one, or somesuch.

That's code 81, which in my case (1990 V2500 Burb) meant that the computer was burping on one of the solenoid/cylinder things. I fought with it a bit, but ended up unplugging the RWAL computer (black box by the master cylinder and booster.) I figure the brakes are in top notch order and I know how to drive without ABS ... and my (ex)wife is eeping the truck anyway /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Post the code here and somebody may be able to look it up. OBTW, you'll want to know which of the two or three KINDS of said computer you have -- mine was the Kelsey Hayes, as evidenced by the KH logo on it, but there are one or two others, IIRC.

-- A

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. The Burb belongs to a nighbor of mine so I need to pass the info on and check if the flashes are giving a code of some kind. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif