Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat 5 wiring harness

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by dhcomp, Nov 19, 2006.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Is anyone making a flat five wiring harness? THe burb i just bought has a round plug on it (which i personally hate), and only tow boat trailers that have flat 4 /5 connectors on them. I can buy a flat 5 plug and wire it myself, but does anyone make a harness? If not, i'll probably just get the uhaul one again ( i like their bracket/cap).

FYI, flat 5's are often used for surge brakes with electronic reverse lockout solenoids hooked up to the brake lights.

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

3. dhcomp

Thanks for the reply. I've seen plent of adapters on the market now, but i want to add a new trailer wiring harness to teh truck, and need 5 flat, so why wire up something i don't need jsut to use an adapter. If im going to do a new harness, i want to do one that ends in teh type of plug im going to use.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

OK, thought you were looking for an adapter harness, sorry. I like to have the 7 way RV, then just adapt after that cause i tow about 6-7 different trailers. If your just towing 1, then there is no reason for it.

5. dhcomp

Problem is, its not a flat 7 way on there. I think its the flat 6? Its not he plastic round one like is on the new trucks, its a smaller one, about 1.125 in diameter. Anyways, all the trailers ive ever towed are flat 4 or 5 (all boats). So that is the way i want to go. I think i'll just use the flat 4 until i can get a 5way harness off a new boat somewhere for free. THen i'll just add it. THanks!

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The round 7 is here to stay. there really isn't any more wire you can add. If you take the 7 wire off the truck and then buy a newer trailer you will have to go through this again. it would be easier to update your trailers and grab some adapters for anything else.

7. dhcomp

I don't have a 7 wire though, i have the old metal round one. 6 wire i think.

Either way, i got a flat 4 wired up for now, along with the 6 way. I move so many different boat trailers, that i'd always need an adapter....and thats just one more thign to have to deal with.

8. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

On my 'Burban and my Dads F150 we both have the big round 7 pin plug wired to our trailer (I am positive it is not wired the standard way, but "He was a truck driver damnit, it's right". Anyways, Behind the bumper I have the flat 4 connector adapter incase I ever have to get a Uhaul trailer. So I am plenty covered.