Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flat bed the dually

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Seventy4Blazer, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i want to flat bed my dually. at the same time i want to cut the frame length down so the back of the frame is even with the shackle hngars.

has anybody done this on here? pics would be nice.

my reasons for doing this are simple.

weight. it would weigh a bit less. the truck weighs 6400lbs as is. running boards are comming off, glass hood, and a wood deck on the flat bed.

Drag: it would have a lot less wind resistance and every little bit will help

useability. i can still tow the eventual gooseneck trailer with it, not lose any weight legaly, park a lot easier, see better, and even though i will be shortening the length of the bed by 12ish inches i will have about 12 inches on the sides for total length to put stuff. i would want stake sides for it as well, and a cab protector.

i have a single side tank, so it would not be to much of an issue. one issue i can see would be re making a strong enough standarg pull hitch for smaller trailer.

any input is wanted. any plans are good s well.
    Grant

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tell ya what, sell your duelly, and get one with a flat bed.

I know that may sound kinda cocky, but it isnt really. THe reason I tell you do to that is you can get a duelly flat bed much cheaper than a regular dually.

Oout east, you can get a flat bed diesel pickup for about 1.5-3k. A good regular pickup dually is at least 4k.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Flatbed plans

This is the design I like the best in a flatbed... But the one for sale up in Redding would cost alot less than building one right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Flatbed plans

This is the design I like the best in a flatbed... But the one for sale up in Redding would cost alot less than building one right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i got pics from Canneron on that one. it loks good. now i have a problem though. i need to sell the bed on the truck, and get the money for my gooseneck hitch and the bed from cam.
    Grant