Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FLAT CAM LOBE

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FATRAT72, Feb 16, 2002.

1. FATRAT72

FATRAT72 Registered Member

I just found a flat lobe on the number six exhaust on my new cam from comp cams'#11-235-3 extreme 4x4cam motor was just built with two hours running time,did everything by the book ,used comp cams lube, primed lifters and engine ,used all new parts,do i need to pull it out and install new crank,main bearings.or did the filter catch it all? drained oil and checked it with a heavy duty magnet and found very little metal. 454bbc in 72 blazer thanks FATRAT72

2. frito

frito Registered Member

you should be fine,
    did you brake the cam in? 20-30 min of 2500 RPM right at first start up?
    i dont think i would worry about it much just replace the cam and change the oil (like you said you did =) and filter you need to change your oil alot on a new motor anyways cuz its normal for things like the cam and the like to leave metal in the oil

71 K5 Blazer,350/TH350/205 33's/ 2inch lift for now, soon to have 14B FF and D60 in a few weeks

3. FATRAT72

Yes i broke it in right but didn,t hear the bad lobe earlier because i had open hedders. it sounded great until i started to hear popping in the carb on the way to the muffler shop because the exhaust valve wasnt opening. The lifter turns easy in its bore and was turning on the cam . Now i,m going to find out about comp cams return policy. thanks for the reply,FATRAT72

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Happened to me and they made it right. Same valve too, strange. When you break in the new cam you get throw the crap they give you away to lube it with. Go to a Caterpiller dealer and buy a can of Cam Fowler Lubricant (caterpillar brand) and use that. It is less than 10 bucks and you can break in a bunch of cams with it. It is extemely sticky lube and is the greatest stuff on, around, in and below the Earth and under the stars including the surrounding galaxies.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Check your pushrods! Make sure they're all straight. If you had retainer to guide interference, you'll have a bent pushrod.

6. FATRAT72

Funny you should mention it i did find a bent pushrod, The #6 intake pushrod is bent, Do i need to worry about the valves? with the exhaust not opening the intake valve must have taken some abuse. plus the comp cams guy told me i should inspect the main ,rod bearings and tear down And clean the inside of the block.( Oh boy what fun ) FATRAT72 72cst blazer 454bbc th350 205 3/4 ton

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you either ran into retainer to guide interference or you stacked the valve springs. Either case is bad. Don't run the same cam again until you verify your valve train geometry and ensure that you don't stack up the valve train.

You generally don't mess up the valves when you stack the springs or collide the retainer and guide. Sometimes you will munge up the tip of the valve and the rocker arm tip (check those carefully to ensure that you didn't gall them).

8. FATRAT72

Has anyone heard of any problems with comp cams camshafts? my machinist here in oregon will not guarantee the installation of a comp cams hyd camshaft in my 454bbc,They say they will guarantee any others but they have had a lot of calls for repairs on motors with comp hyd cams like mine,I lost all the bearings had to have the crank turned, block tanked cylinders honed,because of the bypass valve on my oil filter inlet let all the metal go thru the motor from my hi volume oil pumps pressure , when i lost my cam lobe. FATRAT72