Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat Paint Costs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Aug 1, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hi, i'm seriously considering getting an ex military vehicle for my new daily driver. It had the OD green paint on it, but some yahoo sprayed red over that with poor prep. It's flaking and showing green thru. What would it take for me to get rid of the red, sand down the original green, and put on a new coat of OD green flat? I've never done auto paint before, but I've watched it done, and I have access to a booth and guns.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Be careful sanding down that green. That stuff is called CARC, Chemical Agent Resistant Coating. It is highly toxic when inhaled. The military guys who do the painting have to wear special hoods so they don't get in contact with the stuff. Best bet would be to use some kind of chemical stripper to get the red off, then do a coat of regular flat green to cover any remaining stains. If you somehow can get all the old green off without killing yourself or poisoning everything (and since you have access to a paintshop that can deal with hazardous waste you may get away with it), then just spray the new green on. Flat paint is far more forgiving than glossy paint, since you don't have to worry about orangepeel or runs or any of that (runs just sand off).

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have purchaced flat paint for about $26 a quart.
    L pig...i dont know about sanding carc being dangerous. I think the guys painting it are just trying to stay out of the solvents etc since they are painting all day long. I have seen this stuff sprayed outdoors with no attempt to contain the paint dust. I have sanded down and have seen sanded many military vehicles and no one ever said anything about toxic paint. I'm not saying you are wrong...i have just never been informed of any such danger

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. Now I have to track down a loan. :(

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>