Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flat tow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crossjim, Dec 24, 2002.

1. crossjim

crossjim Registered Member

I am planning to turn my no longer street legal '82 K1500 into a off road only trail rig and am wanting to flat tow it to and from the trails. I have heard many people say to disconnect the driveshafts but wouldn't it be ok to simply put the 208 in neutral?

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats what i did when i towed one of my blazers home from wear i bought it..just put it in neutral..and unlocked the steering..and it worked great.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

2 things here.
    If you plan on flat towing it frequently, you will be turning the axles and the rear part of the T Case even if you put it in neutral. That is why some people like to put locking hubs on the rear and disconnect them when towing.
    Second, if it's not street legal anymore, you can not legally flat tow it. All four tires need to be off the ground if you don't want to get in trouble. You are supposed to tow it on a trailer.
    But you can take the chance if you want.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey there, I wanted to give you a shout, I am from Greensboro as well! Do you run with one of the local groups? Come check out Triad4wd on Yahoo groups, we are getting pretty big and having alot of fun.

We are getting together for Pizza at Cicis on Sunday the 19th, 6pm, at the north High Point location!

Glad to see you on here! (Actually I am researching how to flat tow my 72 Jimmy to the trails is how I found this.)

So I guess with my NP205 tcase it is the same thing, put it in neutral and I could flat tow it? I thought I remembered hearing something about the fluid in the tcase not being pumped around like it should?

(Heck does the tcase have a pump, i dont think they do?) As long as the tcase is in neutral you wont be spinning the tranny which is the main thing to watch for?

I am looking at towing my Jimmy from NC to Upper PA for the Memorial Day event at Paragon!!!! Also to Tellico for Dixie Run.

Give me a shout at sammyh@Triad.rr.com and lets hook up and check out RIGs sometime!

Sam Hinton