Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towed my rig...think I F'D my Transfercase!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 31, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Last week I took some leave and spent all week working on my truck. I installed a Detroit in the rear and a whole bunch of other stuff. I will post about it in another thread with pic's.

Ok, I flat towed my truck 180 miles from Utah to Vegas. I put the tranny in nuetral (SM465) and the xfer case in neutral (NP208). Everything towed fine, when I got home I disconnected the tow bar and fired her up to move into the driveway. As soon as I let off the clutch I heard a horrible sound.....almost like the gears had blown in the rear diff!!!

I reluctantly peeled the diff cover off waiting to see chunks of metal falling out with my $400 Detroit sitting in there somewhere. Luckily this is not the problem, R&P are unscathed. The truck still moves under it's own power, just sounds like the xfer case is thrashed on the inside??

Did I destroy the xfer case or could I have caused damage to the tranny also?

GD!!! I should have pulled the driveline!!!!!!!

What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this same thing happen?

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

dumb question same gears i hope right that coulda cost ur case if not shoulda pulled ur shafts out tho i would say

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since the 208 doesn't have a fluid pump (241 pump is driven with the output shaft?) that means it should be the same as an automatic transmission....flat towing moves ONLY the output shaft of the trans/t-case, which results in no lubricant being slung about, which results in heat buildup.

I doubt GM changed the distance/speed limits to flat towing, IIIRC it's something like no more than 50 miles, under 50MPH or so.

Should be able to see SOMETHING by pulling the driveshaft and looking at the output bushing and driveshaft, see if either is damaged. Maybe excess play in the output shaft as well?

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

not good.....

Jeff,

One thing I've learned recently that's weird about 208's is that when shifted to "N", the front and rear driveshafts BOTH turn. "Neutral" to a 208 just disconnects the motor, but locks the 2 drivelines together for some reason...:dunno:

So, make sure it didn't blow out your front shaft....

The 208 DOES have a "pump" in the back of it, but it's run off the rear output shaft. It's a little plastic thing that looks kinda like a speedo gear. Long as the fluid level is good, it shoulda kept lubrication.

Marv

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man, that sucks! If you need any help with fixing your rig, let me know.

6. stallion85

Well, I delved into the truck today and had a bud come over to see if he could hear where the sound was coming from. We both finally agreed it was coming from the rear end not the transfer case.

Since the R&P looked good it must have been the Detroit I had just installed. So I took the carrier out...again and split her open. Well wouldn't you know it, my dumbass left a shim in there which was keeping the locker from engaging the teeth. I have yet to put it back in but am pretty sure that is the problem. The Detroit appeared to have no damage whatsoever.

So, all is good and lessons learned.

I will let you guys know tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips though about the 208. The driveshaft will definetly be pulled in the future :wink1:

7. blownout

blownout Registered Member

no good

i owned a truck like that be for i sold er one day for 2,000 thats alot .

8. stallion85

huh?

9. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I'll attempt to translate.

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

11. stallion85

This dude is a tool :rolleyes: