Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat Towing 1973 K5 Blazer 1200 Miles with a 24' Ryder Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Jun 17, 2002.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Flat Towing 1973 K5 Blazer 1200 Miles with a 24\' Ryder Truck

I've got a new job back east and I need to move my 73 K5 Blazer. I was thinking about flat towing it with a Ryder truck. (My Blazer has 35x12.50 tyres and it won't fit on a car carrier unless I get new wheels and tyres and my budget is limited.) Do any of you know who makes a tow bar and baseplate/brackets that will fit my Blazer? Any other towing advice or suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Flat Towing 1973 K5 Blazer 1200 Miles with a 24\' Ryder Truck

Send tRustyK5 a private message!!!

He built one that he used from Surrey, BC, Canada all the way to Round Rock, Texas and flat-towed another Blazer all the way back up to Canada!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The tow bar he built was STRONG and BULLET PROOF. Way better bar than what U-Haul rents out.

He could probably build and sell you one. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Ryder, Budget or U-haul should be able to get you a trailer that the Blazer will fit on. I would tow it with the trailer. I just did it with Budget from Florida to Connecticut with a 24' Box truck It sucked when I was in the tunnel in Jersey and in NY but I made it.
    Wheh

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i flat towed my blazer with a burban. blazer had 33x12.5x15's on it. i will never flat tow it again. EVER. i went through a mountian pass or 4. BAD JU JU.
    almost flipped both rigs twice at 30 MPH. i would advise getting a set of smaller(stock or so) tires and putting them on your rims, or buying cheap used rims. a budy of mine went as far as to just putting his blazer on rims on the trailer. i am against using a trailer that only puts one set of wheels on the trailer. full trailer or tow strap. that is my opinon. and i have towed my blazer and a few others more than enough.
    if one were so inclined to buy a nice tow bar, and a sway controll device it would not be as bad. but your suspension is a bit softer than desired for flat to i am assuming.
    grant /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here are a couple of things to consider.
    #1. Don't tell Ryder you are planning to tow with their truck. You are not supposed to tow with their trucks unless it is on a dolly or trailer of theirs.
    #2. Get a 5000 pound towbar.
    #3. If it is an automatic trans in your K5 make sure to remove the driveshafts before towing.
    #4. If you use a towbar don't put yourself in a position where you have to back up.
    #5. Everytime you stop check all the hitch connections and make sure they are tight.
    When I moved back here to Pa from Ga I used a towbar on my 73 pick up. I had a 25 foot Penske truck fully loaded and my pick up was loaded and weighed almost 6000 pounds. It towed fine with that big of a truck so if you are carefull you should be fine.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

With 12.50 rubber and 10" rims it will, albeit tight, fit on a Ryder trailer - just lie and tell them it's for an S10 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well If it's a 203 that is still full time you can flat tow them with the case in Nuetral. They will still lubricate fine. If it's been part time then pull the rear drive shaft. I would not use one of those clamp around the bumper style tow bars. The bumper will bend and they will come loose. I would get a tow bar that Bolt on. Preferably remove the bumper and bolt it to the sides of the frames. I have seen the bolts through the front of the frame horn pulled through.
    The K5 with 35's will not fit on most of the trailers that those place rent or their tow Dolly's. With stock 31's on stock offset 8 inch rims it might. If it is full time I would not even try to dolly without removing the rear drive shaft.
    I would check with TRusty. Maybe he will make, sell or loan that Tow bar he made.
    As for flat towing 5,500 lb of blazer.....Take it easy and no sudden moves. Your not going to have trailer brakes to help slow down that extra weight behind you. If that truck gets out of shape it could overpower the tow rig and cause you to wreck.
    So where are you moving to?

8. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I flat towed my 1972 blazer from Las Cruces, NM to Buffalo, NY in December of 2000, (2200 miles), behind a 17 foot U-haul truck with the U-haul rentable tow bar, and I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Anytime I stopped for gas though I would check the tightness of the towbar and make sure everything was still on there. It worked great.

Just make sure to disconnect your d-shafts and keep your tires aired up to at least 35psi, (I bumped mine up to 45psi, made a big difference in sway).

HTH,

Buddy