Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FLAT TOWING A BLAZER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, May 10, 2004.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Hi guys....Long time reader, first time poster. I'm buying a 1979 blazer 400/th400/203t-case. I live in Southern Idaho and its in Jackson, Wy. Long story short It has a bad tranny and I need to tow it home. I have a winch bumper that i'm thinking of mounting on the front of it with a tow bar attached. Then flat towing it behind my friends Durango. Any concearns with this approch? I know the blazer out weights the durango by a bit, but once we get over the passes, its all flat interstate. Should I put the transfer case in neutral or just drop the drive lines?
    Thanks for you help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Your best bet is to get a trailer or at least a tow dolly with some brakes. But if you have to flat tow then I would pull the shafts...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah well getting up a pass isn't a problem, down is a big one if the durango is lighter than the blazer and you have no brakes back there. Tow dolly at least, I'd flat tow but not for more than a couple miles.

4. johnc

johnc Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Your best bet is to get a trailer or at least a tow dolly with some brakes. But if you have to flat tow then I would pull the shafts...

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif my thoughts exactly! Congrats on the new rig!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Dont go over a mountain pass flattowing a Blazer with a Durango /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif You will be lucky if you can drive over 25 mph safely on flat ground let along going over a mountain. You will need a tow rig that is the same size or bigger as a minimum or you will not be able to control it at highway speeds.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You may want to look into the weight of the Durango vs the Blazer. Those Durangos are pretty heavy actually.

I towed my K5 (5500lbs) behind my wifes 01 Ram 1500 (6000lbs) about 250 miles one way to a wheeling event and back without any issues. It even snowed on us big time on the way home. I wont say it was a fun trip home, but Ive been in scarier situations. One thing you HAVE to do is: drive like you are towing a heavy load behind you. Dont try to be making up time by driving faster than you should. Dont lose concentration at all. Dont make any sudden steering movements. Anticipate everything... keep your eyes open because a panic stop will probably end up in a wreck.

My advice is: dont be scared of it, but definately respect it. As for the mountain passes........ I have never driven over them at all, let alone towing, so I wont say anything about that.

Beyond that... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Where at in ID are you? Have a cousin who's in-laws are up in blackfoot I think?

For fuel and a little cash, I could probably make the little road trip and help you out.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing you HAVE to do is: drive like you are towing a heavy load behind you. Dont try to be making up time by driving faster than you should. Dont lose concentration at all. Dont make any sudden steering movements. Anticipate everything... keep your eyes open because a panic stop will probably end up in a wreck.

My advice is: dont be scared of it, but definately respect it. As for the mountain passes........ I have never driven over them at all, let alone towing, so I wont say anything about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I flat towed a 79 with 8"+ lift and 38"'s with my '88 using a tow-bar. It was sitting at just a slight angle... The 79 was fairly stripped, so I'm sure it was lighter, but it did get a little hairy on some hills. Other than that, there were moments I almost forgot I was towing it, it stopped really well, and was tight enough not to bang or jerk me around.