Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing a Blazer....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I see people flat tow Jeeps, Early Broncos, Suzuki's, FJ's, etc... all the time.
    Does anyone on here flat tow their fullsize anywhere w/ a towbar? What is the feasability of this? I can't afford a trailer, etc... to tow my rig that way... but I could afford some tabs for the ol' 70 F250.

Might be a douch bag thought, but it was just something that came to my mind! TEAR IT UP BOYS! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif....ive often pondered this myself....i guess i could try it huh?

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Now I may be wrong....but Shane don't you have a tow rig /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif ....and a car trailer already? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

As long as you don't have any big hills to go down ya shouldn't have a problem.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've towed more rigs than I can count with my little 'ole tow bar. Even a couple crew cabs. Most of the K5's I've towed have towed just fine with a tow bar, even with bigger tires. Seems like every vehicle has it's own "towing personality". Only way to know it for sure is to try it and see how it acts out on the road. I've had some rigs tow like they weren't there up to 60, and others that would fishtail so violently I couldn't go over 35mph.

If you're bored enough to look through the whole album, there's several tow bar towing pics. http://community.webshots.com/album/30804775QQMuGyzBDu

6. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Well I just transported my crewcab from Utah to Wisconsin behind a 26' Penske moving van using a towbar. I built the towbar and pivots strong enought to pull a tank but I didn't have a single problem and it tracked very nicely even at 70mph cruising speeds.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Any pics of the towbars you guys have???

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My brother towed a 1967 ford econoline pickup home from charlotte NC to the boston area with a tow bar after the trucker who was supposed to have hauled it for him ran off with his 400 bucks and gave him tons of excuses--he was going to lose the truck if he didnt get it moved,it was all paid for,but the used car lot it was at wanted it out by a certain date--so he drove down in his 92 gmc diesel 3/4 ton and drilled 4 holes in the mint chrome front bumper /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifand pulled it home--and it only took 250 bucks for fuel,and two days of his time--shoulda just went and got it in the first place,and saved 400 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.It towed nicely even at 70 mph,until he got to PA--then he could only do 45-50,or risk having it jump into the bed of his truck--I-81 gets pretty rough around Wilkes-Barre and Scranton!.
    I have a homemade towbar that connects to my fisher plow frame on my 74 GMC--been thinking of using it to tow it to its final resting place,instead of parting it out--decisions,decisions-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

9. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'll be taking the towbar off of the frame this evening to reinstall the bumper...I'll see if I can't find my camera for a few pictures (moving sucks) Anyways, I just chopped the front end off an old trailer I had at my disposal and boxed everything to use it as the base of the towbar. I then welded and bolted 3/8" thick mounting tabs to the towbar and frame and used 1.5" CR steel rod for the pins on the pivots. I'm sure that I overbuilt the design but only because I had free steel at my disposal and I didn't want any surprises on my journey.

10. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I may be wrong....but Shane don't you have a tow rig /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif ....and a car trailer already? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes i have a tow rig...but the trailer isnt built strong enough for my blazer...ill only tow the blazer with it for short distance and not freeway speeds...hopefully this spring i can get a new trailer....

11. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Didn't tRusty do this from Texas to Canada a couple years ago?