Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing a blazer???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5trucks, Apr 12, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I'f i end up moving to Texas i was thinking of flat towing my 77 k5 behind my dodge. I dont own a trailer is why. The problem is i think the rear end. It's a lincoln ( spider locked ) locked 14ff. I wanted to know if i would tear up some crap or should i just get some el-cheapo tires and wheels so i dont eat up my half way decent 35's. 350/sm465/205 d44/ 14ff.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shouldn't be a problem. Either slap the trans and transfer in neutral or pull the rear shaft and flat tow away. There is nothing different about tire wear from towing it as there is from driving it.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just pull the driveshafts, and tie them up to the under-body, unlock the steering wheel, and go nuts! Just make sure you use a tow bar that has bracketry that BOLTS to the truck, and not just tied on with a chain around the bumper, and make sure you check local regs about registration, insurance etc. I know around here you have to have valid registration and insurance on anything that has a tire touching the ground...

4. gr8pumkin

gr8pumkin Registered Member

I use to flat tow my blazer, there's a number of problems with doing this. One the weight of the blazer pushes like a mother. If your doing serious hill its problematic with the brakes on the tow rig. There doing the stopping for two vehicals. Second is the height of the tow bar. If your tow rig isn't lifted the ball even flipped isn't high enough to use the proper mounts throught the frame. I've had the truck come into the back of my tow rig due to the bar pooping off the ball. If your only going slow without hitting the freeways then by all means have at it. I'm a person who tries to get around certain things but I would never FLAT TOW again. Nor in good faith sit quiet and let someone do it.

Rent a cheep trailer. I can get my blazer on the u-haul trailers with stock rollers no problems. In my opinion the up front cost of renting a trailer highly out ways the potential cost of loosing the blazer or worse.

Jeremy

5. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

Take one axle shaft out, use one of the gasket to make a plate to bolt in place of the removed shaft and tow away. Thats what they do when they tow multiple semis down the highway, but they remove both axle shaft from the wheels that touch the ground.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

In theory, even with a locker, as long as power is not being fed thru the pinion the locker should freewheel. No need to take a axle out. Second, as long as you get the correct drop hitch (or raised hitch) height for the tow vehicle there should be no problems with that. I flat towed a full sized dodge van behind my 307 powered 2wd 69 chevy truck from Cali to Phoenix once without any problems at all. Even going thru the mountains was no big deal. I can see where in an emergency manuver things could get tricky though.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check the state laws for flat towing. You will find out that anything being towed over 3000lbs (AZ & NM) needs to have brakes on the vehicle being towed. I have flattowed my K5 from AZ to CO before I checked up on that law. It was ok but I would not recommend it. It was not fun stopping it even with a brand new F250 of my dads or my Dodge 2500 Cummins.

Can it be done somewhat safely yes. Is it against the law yes. I was about to tow my K5 back to AZ from CO last fall when I actually checked the state laws and found out it was illegal. I knew that since I was aware that it was illegal that I would probably get pulled over this time for it so I went and took a small loan out and bought a trailer. A brand new 18' trailer only cost me $2500. To me it is $2500 well spent & I am glad I did it.

If you are going to flattow do not remove an axleshaft. The axleshaft brings the gear lube down the diff to the wheel bearings. Even with a welded rear flat towing shouldn't be horrible since most of the driving will be on highway. Pull the rear driveshaft & unlock the front hubs. Be smart, give alot of following distance and keep the speeds down incase you have to try and stop fast.

Even a Uhaul trailer might be a better idea then flattowing. Uhaul generally has crappy equipment though so make sure you don't let them give you a trailer with some crappy tires because there will be now spare tire. Also they won't rent one to you if you tell them you are putting a fullsize K5 on it. You will have to tell them you are putting a S10 Blazer on it.

Harley

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would not recommend it, but if you are determined, at least pull the driveshafts.

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i rented the biggest trailer i could find at uhaul when i blew the k5's old engine, and it wasn't wide enough, even though i only had 31s.

uhaul wouldn't rent the tailer to me at first because they claimed my '82 k5 outweighed my '94 xcab 1500. so, i just told another location i was hauling a an imaginary '95 shortbed regular cab with my made-up '94 2500. yeah, i'm evil. my k5 (with full offroad gear for my wheeling day trip) plus the trailer weighted nearly 8000lbs, which is well over the tow rating of my mighty v6, but it did fine.

10. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

it's welded, not a locker.

11. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Wasn't even thinking about the law part of it. That changes things for sure. All i need is to get pulled over and fined for being stupid. I will have my kids in the truck so i better get a trailer. Thanks for all the help.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not saying you're wrong but if that's the case, then why do they deliver big class 8 trucks that way?
    Like justiz00 said, they pull the axle shafts out of the wheels on the road, strap them to the frame, put the front of the truck on the back of another truck and hit the road.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I would recommend verifying any of that info with local law enforcement or department of transportation. I found two errors on the Michigan page:
    Assuming that's a typo and they meant 5,000 lbs, it's still wrong. The GVW division is at 4 tons (8,000 lbs) and the new truck speed is 60 mph.
    You are allowed two trailers but the front one has to be a 5th wheel.

Also, not sure what they mean by
    All vehicles are required to have insurance but nothing additional is needed for trailers.

Don't believe everything you read on the intarweb. :D

15. mnstrburbon

mnstrburbon 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i Made a tow dolly for my 3/4 ton 78 sub and flat towed it behind my 98 chevy 2500 350ci and had no problems. I towed it before this on a trailer and the tow bar was alot nicer and felt safer to tow with.
    What about tow trucks the wheels are on the ground only 2 but the weight is there and no brakes required. my .02

16. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just last November I flat towed an 84 K5 from Houston Texas to Spokane, Washington using my 98 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. Never had a problem and towed it at 65 mph the whole way. I pulled the driveshafts and bought a set of those magnetic trailer lights for the back.

17. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know, the vehicle being flat towed needs to be registered to drive on the street. Non Op does not qualify and cannot be flat towed.

18. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

Tell that to the vehicle caravans heading to mexico down I35 through central texas. I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure.