Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat Towing a TJ

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BulldogK5, Jan 16, 2007.

1. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am trying to find out the best way to flat tow a TJ. A buddy is driving me to pick up my new to me crew cab about 90 miles away. Short of removing the driveshafts, what are some things I need to do. I have read that the jeep should be in the highest gear (5th) with the case in Neutral. Should I tie the shifters into the respective positions? Should I lock the steering wheel or leave it loose? I ask this because people with motorhomes usually leave them loose. If I do this do we leave the key in the on position so that it can't lock or is there another way? It already has a drawbar from a previous owner but he has only used it for short (2-5 miles) trips twice. Thanks for any and all advice.

Ward

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The best way is to remove both driveshafts, and leave the steering unlocked.

second best would be to leave the steering column unlocked, remove the rear shaft, and leave front hubs unlocked with the t-case in neutral.

anything besides those two options I wouldn't attempt. I pulled my truck with the trans and case in neutral. I wasn't going far. it jumped into gear when I had to stop quick. blew high gear out of the t-case.

3. BulldogK5

That's what I thought the answer might be. It would probably be easier to leave things alone and drive the TJ back, huh.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I flattowed my K5 several time for a total of around 1500 miles. I pulled the rear driveshaft, left the front hubs unlock, tcase & tranny in neutral, & steering wheel unlocked.

If it is only 90 miles then that should only be a handful of gallons of gas so I would just drive it to be safe.

Harley

5. BulldogK5

Thanks guys. I had him just drive it back.