Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing an Automatic neon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I cant find a straight answer on whether or not an automatic neon can be towed. There's been some talk about possibly the torque converter heating up, and without the engine spinning, that it would overheat the torque converter.

i find that kinda silly, but can anyone tell my why this is? I know the fluids by the CV's would get hot, but what does that have to do with any part of the tranny if it was in N? 800 bucks for a lube pump seems excessive!

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just flip it over and drag it on it's top....

Really, I can't help you.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

stick it in "N" and go.
    ok, i lied. read the owners manual. it IS in there.
    ill check my neighbors tomorrow. but im sure you just have to put it in neutral and unlock the stering wheel and go.
    Grant

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

First of all how can you overheat a torque converter towing an automatic? That would require the engine or the input shaft of the auto to turn right?

Turning the output shaft of an automatic in Nuetral will not make the input shaft turn because with the car off your pump is not running and you have no hydraulic pressure to apply the gears to connect input and output shafts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Worse thing you have to worry about is the bearings that turn on the output shaft being properly lubricated without the pump running to lube them. It would be best to look in the owners manual if you have one or contact a New Dodge dealer and ask them about it.

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

if you're that concerned about it just rent a uhaul car dolly, its a normally little over 100 bucks with the insurance included. i towed my K5 almost 200 miles with one of these, i kept it between 30-40 mph the whole way, and it was kinda scary / stupid, but i didnt have any other options...pulling a neon would be real easy.....
    if you cant find a good solid yes or no, save yourself some potentially expensive repairs

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

It depends on the car mfg. Some mfgs like Saturn, designed the trans to be towed on all fours. Thats why you see lots of them behind motorhomes.

Problem is/was modern automatic transmissions are equipped with only an engine-driven front lubrication pump. When the towed vehicle is not running, the transmission pump is not pumping and parts inside are spinning because the axles are not disconnected. Thus, an alternate lubrication source is necessary to prevent overheating. There are several mods that can be made to automatice for towing on all fours.

Also difference if its front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive. Front seems more forgiving. Most mfg say you can tow on all fours for something like 50 miles and not over 35mph. Honda suggest that but says its basicelly because they havent tested it above those levels and like Saturns, you see lots of them behind motorhomes.
    Use to have an old friend who had an old Honda he towed. He just started up the car, put it in neutral and towed it forever with it idiling /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now, heres a link on a Motorhome site which shows what "1999" cars that can be towed and what the restrictions are. The Neon shows as OK without limitations.
    Still suggest you look at the manual or call the delearship.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen ads in RV magazines for locking hubs for front wheel drive vehicles--just unlock em just like the ones on your 4x4 and tow it to florida!! I thought it was a good idea,and wondered why it took someone so long to make them! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

YEah, everyone says no towing an Automatic Neon on all 4's.

heck, its a stinking tiny 4 cylinder engine, I couldnt imagine it burning more than 1 gallon of gas in 6 hrs idling the engine. I'll just leave it in neutral, and turn the engine on.