Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing an S10 and S10 towing a K5

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by OFFRDK5, Jun 16, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever flat towed an S10 4x4 behind a K5. I want to have something to get back home with if I decide to chuck the whole thing in some trail somewhere. I want to be able to also use the S10 to tow the K5 back home. Any suggestions?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Flat towing a s10 with a K5 would be no problem at all. Just make sure the tow bar is level. I would never think about towing a K5 w/ a s10 on the hwy but it MIGHT work to get you back to a paved road.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes I have used my '01 blazer to flat tow my K5. The longest I've done it was for about 20 miles.

4. OFFRDK5

I am thinking about Moab and the "what if" and how I get back here to Illinois. So you don't think its possible for along trek like that?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's this really big mountain range that you would have to get over on the way home. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Your S-10 would likely puke as it struggled to drag a K5 over the Continental Divide. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The highest pass on the way over is just a tad over 11,000 feet above sea level. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Plus trying to drive on I-70 with that much extra weight behind you, pushing you all over the road, would be scary, if not deadly. For most of the distance between Denver and Grand Junction, there is hardly a straight stretch of road. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. OFFRDK5

I better start figuring another way home then....anyone know how much it is to have a plane take Blazer back from Moab?

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Plane?! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif For the cost of that you could buy a old dually tow rig! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The I-80 is a much more forgiving highway...kinda boring actually. If you headed from Moab up towards Salt Lake City then east on I-80 it would be a much easier drive. I still wouldn't tow a deisel K5 behind an S-10 though...unless it was an S-10 body on a 1 ton Dodge chassis/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

9. HarryH3

Yeah, I-80 wouldn't be quite as tough, except for pulling up Parley's Canyon between Salt Lake and Park City. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif From there over to around Evanston, WY, it's still rather winding, but I don't think you have to go as high to get across the Continental Divide. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. OFFRDK5

So what yer sayin is that if I do it I am completely nucking futs? What about a full size 4x4 pickup flat towing a K20 Blazer?

11. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Yeah, I-80 wouldn't be quite as tough, except for pulling up Parley's Canyon between Salt Lake and Park City. From there over to around Evanston, WY, it's still rather winding, but I don't think you have to go as high to get across the Continental Divide

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that part is a little steep, not bad overall though. IIRC crossing the divide the elevation was about 9500' and it wasn't much of a hill.

Nick, a fullsize 3/4 ton pick-up would be a much beter bet. I say 3/4 ton for the brake size alone. Flat towing means the towed vehicle is not participating in braking at all and a K-5 is heavy as you know. Most states I checked the legal max for a 'trailer' without brakes was 3000 lbs. Your Deisel K-5 is prolly close to double that.

Rene

12. HarryH3

Yeah, stopping could be a real challenge, especially on a downhill curve! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I use a buddy's trailer sometimes that is made from the back half of a Ford Courier pickup. A panic stop with just that behind me is pretty interesting. It's VERY obvious that the S-Jimmy is working really hard to get everything stopped. I'd guess that it weighs maybe 1200-1500 lbs empty.

13. tRustyK5

I once had to go 'recover' my wife's Mustang that had broken down in Manning park. Lot's of steep long and windy mountain passes to deal with on the way home. I rented a U-haul trailer and didn't expect any real trouble on the drive home. The trailer itself weighed 2100 lbs empty and the Mustang about 3400 give or take. Trailer empty I didn't even notice it behind my Jimmy, but coming home I felt the load. I still wasn't worried, until I got to a hill called 9 mile hill. It's an 8 or 9% grade and goes on forever (not 9 miles...don't know why it's called that) with a couple of good twists and turns. I came over the top heading down and found out the surge brakes on the rental didn't work /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    I was going too fast to drop down a gear and was fortunate enough that the truck brakes held the speed down without fading completely before the bottom. I was on them pretty hard and seriously considered the emergency run-off lane for a while...

I had just come through the exact stretch of road pulling our 21 foot trailer earlier that day and it was cake...but the electric brakes on our trailer work really well.

Rene

14. HarryH3

Now imagine doing that with the tiny little brakes on an S-10... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. tRustyK5

Not!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I was glad to have 3/4 ton running gear and brakes at the time. I wouldn't have wanted to do that with my 1/2 ton junk let alone tiny S-10 stuff.

Rene

16. OFFRDK5

I don't think I gonna try this idea....looking for a dually and a 5th wheel trailer to borrow.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

No chance on the S-10 towing the K5...HarryH3, not to mention the winds and grades he'll need to climb on I-70. I still remember the runaway truck ramps!

18. Diesel22

Diesel22 Newbie

What do you guys think about flat towing as s10 with a s10 blazer? I want to tow my 88 s10 pick up (SFA d44 and ford 9" with 36" swampers) with my 94 4 door jimmy (cpi 4.3l with K&amp;N air charger setup flow master muff 2.5" line) mostly bone stock. Other than putting a nice tranny cooler on it. I can't see any probs here. Yes im gooing to pull the drive shaft on the 88.
    I just want to know what you guy think?
    Diesel

19. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Don't know, but I just wanted to say hey. It's Bryan(86 Blaze) from S-10 Extremists. Glad to have ya over here, too!

20. Diesel22

Diesel22 Newbie

Thanks...
    Been over here a few times but this is the first time i have posted
    Diesel