Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing k5 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Jun 18, 2000.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have to bring home a K5 that is about 8 hours from my house. The truck has an engine problem, so we can't drive it. I would prefer to use a tow dolly, but I can't find a rental company that has one wide enough for a K5. (I even tried a pair Isuzu rims with 235's on the front end of my '89. They are dished opposite of chevy rally wheels, but it's still too wide.) It looks like I've got to flat tow it with a bar. I plan to pull both drive shafts. The hubs appear to be auto locks. They should run open by themselves, right? Anyone know if I have to hook up lights on the towed vehicle? If there is any slop in the front end of the towed vehicle,(worn tie rod ends,etc) will that cause it to try to wander? Are the u-haul rental bars ok?
    If anyone has any flat tow experience and can fill me in on any problem that I might have overlooked, please fill me in.
    Sorry for such a long post, but I'd like to be prepared.

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I have a 75`k5 that I flat tow. The only thing that I can say is that you need to disconect the steering. I usually do this at the draglink/axelarm. The idea is that the power steering will not move as fast as the truck wants to track behind the tow rig. If you don`t do this the truck will wag the tow rig all over the road. I would even pull the steering stabilizer for a 8 hour tow. One other thing, some states do not allow flat towing of unregistered trucks. Good Luck!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How about a flat bed. Its kinda expensive but you can get one wide enough for a K5. Also you can't mess anything up drivetrain wise. I had mine brought in on a flatbed from Jackson, Mississippi to Austin, Texas.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I flat towed my '79 from Lubbock Tx to Sherman Tx (350 miles) with a '96 F-150 in the rain. I would not want to take that trip again. I had a towbar that somebody gave me, and welded up a channel to bolt it to the frame. I took off the front bumper first since I didnt' trust it to hold. Loaded the blazer full of about 1000 pounds of parts and took off. I left the steering wheel unlocked with the key on and the battery disconnected. Pulled the drivehshafts. As I pulled into wichita falls, it started to pour down rain and the blazer would push my truck around corners. Keep in mind, the blaze is about 6500 pounds, plus 1000# of parts, pulled by a 5000# truck. All the advice I can give is have a 3/4 ton truck. On the lights issue, I just spliced into the blazer taillights and ran a wire all the way down the truck to a plug inside. Yes you need to have lights, you're just a ticket waiting to happen otherwise.

Get a trailer if you possibly can, but if you have to towbar a fullsize truck, be ultra careful cause it can get away from you in a hurry!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress