Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing my Blazer with a dolly ... forwards or backwards?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dremu, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Looking at getting a tow dolly, rather than a full-on flat bed, as I have limited space. Well, and budget, but mostly space :D

I'd be pulling her with the matching C/30 crewcab, so no worries on tow vehicle.

Question is, do I hafta put the Blazer's *front* axle in the dolly (which limits my choices, as the track is so damn wide) or can I put the *rear* axle in and tow her backwards?

The second option is nice, too, as then I jsut unlock the front hubs to roll her. If the front end is in the dolly, I can just pull the shafts outta my 14BFF ... but it is SLIGHTLY more work :D

-- A

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

For any real distance at all, I would not go backwards....!

I'm talkin' thru my hat here, but I would think that the "reverse toe in" on the front axle would cause some nasty handling.... I used to drive a tow truck and I remember some of this...

Marv

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Might not be too much of an issue if the steering was locked, but then you're depending on the steering lock and they do break. I'd prolly tow it forwards too...

Rene

4. dremu

Thank you gentlemen ... messing with steering axle, BAD. Zog not like that :D

I shall testfit the Blazer's FRONT on the dolly then!

-- A

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that and you have to make sure you have th steering EXACTLY straight when you shut it down and the column locks...

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tow dolly's are not meant to be towed at more than 45 MPH. I know people tow alot faster than that with them but if the hi-way patrol sees you they will probably give you a ticket.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

We towed my 89 home last fall on a dolly. 85 miles at 50MPH. We pulled the rear driveshaft out.

[​IMG]

8. dremu

That's a pretty big dolly, to fit even stock tires. But, umm ... the tow vehicle. Did it do okay? It doesn't look like it's dragging, but unless it's really set up, that scares me! :eek1: :eek:

(Me, I'm towing with a 454-powered C30 crewcab.)

-- A

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

That car pulled VERY well. That car belongs to "CheyenneKid", a member here. It has a HUGE crazy tow hitch on it that goes way up undr the frame to the rear axel. a 10,000 PLUS hitch. It also had some air shocks on it. But don't forget, a blazer weighs in at 4700 lbs, stock. a tow dolly is 500 +-. so total weight IS a concern. The tongue weight wasn't. We rented the dolly from a local store.

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

KennyW uses a tow bar(another option)... he would be a good person to talk to about flat towing... I think hes done quite a bit of it...

cam

11. dremu

Oh yeah... I was stinking about a bar, but I'd like the ability to tow multiple vehicles, without having to fit a bar mount to each of them. That's what drove me, as it were, to the dolly idea :)

-- A