Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat towing question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about towing an F-250 (no Ford jokes please)about 150 miles using a tow dolly. Hey I picked it up for only a C-note. It's in good shape except for a locked up motor (it's a 351M and I've got a 460 waiting to be put in it). I'm running 33's and 3:73 (I think)gears with a heavy duty rebuilt 700R4 complete with an aux cooler with a fan on it. The motor is completely stock but has a 4 row radatior under the hood. I'm mainly concerned about the Blazer's short wheelbase and the weight of the F-250 which is very close to the Blazer's wieght. Has anybody done anything like this? Also anybody got any hints to make this go smoothly?

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I've flat towed another K5 before about 50 miles and it went fine. Just keep it out of OD.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

keep it out of over drive and i would put a good couple hundred punds of junk over the rear axle of the blazer(2-3 bags of concrete mix would be good), to mimic trailer tounge wieght. Also crawl around corners and ease into everything, flat towing you can jack-knife in a heart beat. just take it easy and slow and youll be good.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

keep the towbar as parallel to the ground as possible. If the tow bar points up in the front when you step on the brakes it will unload your tow vehicle. Just the opposite if it points down. I did this once on wet pavement and didn't get it flat enough. It "unloaded" my tow rig and I started to slide. I think that is the way it goes. Whatever way it is keep it level.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

dolly towing and flat towing are a little different.

I've found flat towing to be more stable than dolly towing. Never put too much thought into the whole thing, but there is a distinct lack of braking ability, and even to some level, turning ability. I remember on this turn in the poconos, I almost lost my towed car, cause it wanted to go straight, while I was turning.

Just go slow... break earily... and watch out for other cars.