Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat Towing with welded rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 0cP, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 0cP

0cP Registered Member

Hi I'm about to be the new owner of a 78' K5 350/400/203 10bolts I think. Its really rusty and is gonna be a trail only truck. I'm planning on using a tow bar to get it to and from the trail pulled by my 04' silverado 1/2 ton. I really want to just weld the rear but I'm not sure how it will act when flat towed on the highway. Is it correct that I will have to pull the driveshafts when towing it? Any tips on flat towing? I can wait to get it on the rocks at paragon ap.

Thanks

Matt

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well i just did it with my 95 toyota t100 3.4 pulling a 1 ton k5 from Long Island, through NY city all the way to VA with no problems at all. I searched for information on here and kinda came up with that it was going to be impossible with my t100 b/c the k5 out weights it by far, but went a head and did it anyways, after reading that it could be done. I crusied at 60-65 with no problems. Did not have any problems at all, I would do it again, or I would not mind doing it 50 miles every weekend to the trials. As for the ds, I did not pull mine, just put the tcase and tranny in netural, unlocked the hubs and i was off. The welded rear might make it a little harder but i dont see it as a big problem. A welded 10 bolt probably wont last to long wheelin tho. Heres a picture from when i made it home. By the way, I got a tow bar for sale if you need one.[​IMG]

3. 0cP

0cP Registered Member

Yes I need a tow bar the one I ordered off ebay isnt gonna show as the guys feed back just went to crap with people saying they arent get their products. Let me know my email is mailto:mattduda@1337info.com my zip is 18944 for shipping if you could

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

just email you

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

geezz I keep reading about people getting ripped off on ebay and I just got ripped off $619 on a dirtbike engine on there too. Try going to http://www.wenzeled.com/site/ its a site that just started for deadbeat sellers, maybe they can help you get your money back.

6. DesertBlaze

DesertBlaze Registered Member

Hey do you stil have that tow bar setup for sale?

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

nope i sold it, sorry