Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flat Towing!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Sep 3, 2004.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I am looking into flat towing my K5, after the last time I tow my past K5 I am not 100% sure I want to tow at all! But, I was doing some looking and found this http://www.readybrake.com/rvtowbrake.html has anyone tried this? If this and if anyone out there flat towing or wanting to flat tow this would be a way to have brakes on your K5 or ORV (jeep, truck). When I talked to him he told be he could work out a better price on the brake system if we had a group buy them. I would have to buy then (say 4+) and then I could ship them out to anyone that wanted them. And after that if anyone wanted one I could get them more for less then they could get them. It would be like I was a dealer (and that is what I would be to him) but I would sell them for what I could get them for since I would not be trying to make money on them. He was thinking about $325 or so for just the brake system and the other parts would be at a discount as well. If anyone wants to talk to be about it PM or Email me.

Brett

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A Blazer is just a lot of weight to flat tow with any normal fullsize truck (no tongue weight, and a Blazer was designed to be a trailer....). At minimum the brake setup would be required (can't imagine towing 6,000 lbs. with no extra brakes.

Several guys in our club have tried flattowing with several combinations and none of them liked it, even pulling a Toyota pickup behind a rather long wheelbase fullsize truck proved to be rather "interesting" in wet weather.

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

This past weekend I went wheeling with some guys from a jeep club and five of them where flat towing jeeps. One was flat towing a mostly stock jeep with a Liberty, that was crazy looking! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Flat towing with brakes would be nice. I've done it quite a few times without brakes and that fullsize back there really can push funny in a stopping situation. The other thing to remember when considering flat towing a lifted vehicle is your caster angle. If it isn't close to where the factory had it things get weird. We flat towed a samurai home not too long ago and the PO had used shackles to get some lift. Course these are in front so it effectively reversed the caster angle. When you made a left turn the samurai went right. Sorry for the hijack but something to consider. I like to flat tow short distances.

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

I was thinking this would be a good way to get your rig home from the trail if you blow your drive line on the trail. if you had to pull your k5 behind someone trail rig, or trailer, or your wifes trail blazer.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I dont know if I like this or not... go out to your truck and with out starting it, push in the brake pedal. Now do it again about 20 more times. I dont know about yours, but mine gets awful hard to push after the first two or three. I think that it would work, but that has to be hard on the system.
    I got hold of a hydraulic surge brake system... they sell these for RVs as well. I teed into my rear disc system right after the master cylinder, and put a selector valve. When I hook up my towbar, I connect the hyd line from the surge unit to the tee line, switch the switch to direct the fluid to the rear brakes (which also closes the port to the master cyl so I dont get any feedback, then drive. Pulling my 5500 lb k5 behind my '01 Ram 1500 4x4 is a piece of cake now. When I brake, it is just like stopping the truck all by itself. I cant feel it pushing me at all. And, the hyd surge effect constantly adjusts so I can never lock the brakes on the K5. It worked awesome.
    Mike